Not To Sound Stupid, But...

LindaJoy

Okay, I've had POTS for over two years now, and I'm on here a lot, so I should know, but what is the difference between small fiber and peripheral neuropathy?

I just saw my neurologist, who did a thorugh neurologic exam and was quite pleased that it was normal, yet my small fiber neuropathy continues to worsen.

Is there a difference between the two? If so, what is it? Can the small fiber neuropathy progress to something unhealthy? Is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks, ya'll,

Lindajoy

hi linda -

in short, small fiber neuropathy is a type of peripheral neuropathy. my understanding is that small fiber neuropathy is essentially a synonym for autonomic neuropathy. other types of peripheral neuropathy are sensory &/or motor in nature.

hope this helps,

;) melissa

Linda,

I also have neuropathy that affects my POTS an motor nerves. I seem to have a relapsing and remitting pattern that gets worse with illness or stress. Without treatment I seem to progress a little more with each flare. I am doing IVIG in an attempt to keep it from progressing. It has been pretty hard on me, so sometimes i wonder if it is worth it.

Treatment, Prgression ect seem to be pretty undefined.

Rhonda