Acetyl L-carnitine

Adria

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the DINET forum however I am not new to POTS. I was diagnosed in June 2000 at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN by Dr. Philip Low after a positive TTT. I also had some additional autonomic nervous system testing conducted at Vanderbilt University in TN. I wanted to let everyone know about a supplement called Acetyl L-Carnitine. It's an herbal supplement that can be found at Whole Foods, GNC, or CVS. The supplement is often recommended for individuals suffering from Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia. Acetyl L-Carnitine usually comes in doses of 500mg or 250mg. I have been taking the 500mg tablets for the past 2 weeks and I have experienced a substantial improvement in my concentration as well as my short-term memory. I have also noticed an increase in energy as well. The supplement helps your body to convert food into energy in a more efficient manner. I have been taking 500mg every morning on an empty stomach as indicated on the bottle and I am very impressed with the results and I have not experienced any side effects. I am planning to increase to 1,000mg next week. I know some POTS patients that are taking as much as 3,000mg but I plan to talk to my cardiologist before making a decision to take such a large dose.

Dr. Grubb has also recommended a prescription supplement called Cerefolin NAC for treating brain fog. It consists of B-12 and folate. I have talked to other patients who have used this product and they experienced an improvement in their short-term memory and ability to concentrate. Some even experienced a more elevated mood. I plan to request this medication from my cardiologist, Dr. Abdallah, when I go to see him next week.

• 13 years later...