Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue

Have you been diagnosed with FM/CFS?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been diagnosed with CFS and POTS.

It is my understanding (according to the Dr's I've seen) that FM, CFS, and POTS are three separate conditions. Many people have overlapping symptoms though! Believe me, I do!!

What have your Dr's told you? It seems to me Dr's have varying takes on this subject.

Thanks for the poll,

Lisa

I checked "No" but I do believe that I have one or the other. Mainly CFS, because I sleep very poorly but am exhausted all the time. I also get the flu-like symptoms, swollen lymph nodes, and many more symptoms that feel like more to me than just POTS. But I have yet to get a diagnosis...I am in the process of trying to get health insurance so I can get back on track with my treatment.

I have a question about Fibro...can the pain be in just one place, chronically? I have been having the worst back pain lately and the docs can't find a thing wrong, but it has directly coincided with my increasing fatigue and inability to sleep. I just don't know what is going on!! I brought up Fibro with my PCP and he said I don't have the symptoms...what the heck does that mean? I brushed it off as another ignorant comment by an "all knowing, well meaning" physician.

Hi Jessica,

Generally speaking, Fibro is characterized by "widespread pain in all four quadrants of the body."

The fatigue could be the POTS, but with the other symptoms it does sound like you could possibly have something related to CFS like you said. Many docs think that Fibro and CFS might be two manifestations of the same condition because so many of the symptoms overlap.

What kind of tests have they done for your back pain? Is it low back?

Ann

Thanks for the info.

Yes, the pain is in the low back. It started out 3-4 months ago just bothering me when I would sit on the floor or hard surface. Then, about 2 weeks ago it escalated into really intense burning type pain across my lower back, which alternates with sharp pains that shoot across my pelvic area if I sit the wrong way. It hurts much more in the morning. Any ideas? I have one last appointment tomorrow with my GYN to make sure it's not female related, since the pain comes across my hips into the pelvic area. They haven't done any tests, just ruling out basic neuro stuff and home treatment with heat and muscle rubs which doesn't help, neither does Ibuprofen or Tylenol.

Jessica,

If you have health insurance, you should get an MRI of the low back and pelvis to see what is causing the back pain...that is of course, if the gyno comes up with nothing. The only other thing that I can think of is that the kidneys are there, but if you are not having any other kidney type symptoms, then probably not. Have you had an xray? Very little shows up on xray of the back, but it is low cost and is sometimes effective.

Ann

I got the CF diagnosis when I went to Vanderbilt about the NCS. Dr Raj told me I was much too fatigued to lay all of the blame on the NCS. He also told me there was a doctor in Buffalo, NY studying the link between CFS and NCS but I wasn't interested. We have been over a year without any income and our church was kind enough to pay expenses for us to go to Vandy so I didn't want to keep pursuing something that probably wouldn't help anyway.