Vitamin B12: Hot Topic Here, I Know, But...

LindaJoy

Concerned about my B12. Since my neuropathy is getting worse, my new doc tested my B12 levels, along with some other stuff. My B12 is in the normal range, but just. It's 269 on a scale of 211-900. Back in November, it was over 500! I don't get it, as I eat one heck of a lot of meat (pork, which is supposed to be high in B12). I have had a lot of pancreatitis lately (just had an ERCP to fix the sphincter to try and relieve the pressure that was causing the pancreas attacks. I've read that pancreatitis can cause B12 problems.

For all of you in the know, which most of you are, that's why I come to you with everything, ;), how low is considered deficient enough to start causing symptoms from B12 deficiency? I'm also going to ask for the methylmalonic acid test for accuracy, but in the meantime, all I have is the serum to go by.

I'm concerned because I know my neuropathic symptoms are getting so much worse. I wonder if the low B12 could be causing some of this, and why did it sink so low, so fast?

ANy suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lindajoy

http://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/meta...eandriskfactors

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Diabetes is one of the most common causes of metabolic neuropathies. Those who have poorly controlled blood sugar are at the highest risk. People who have damage to the kidneys or eyes from diabetes are also more likely to have nerve damage from diabetes.

Other common metabolic causes of neuropathies include:

* Thyroid disease

* Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)

* Nutritional deficiencies, including vitamin B12, vitamin B6, vitamin E, and vitamin B1 deficiency

* Alcoholism

* Sepsis (severe systemic infection)

* Kidney failure

* Porphyria

Lindajoy,

My daughter has low B12. The lab who does her blood work has a notation on the result sheet stating that some people might have symptoms of neurological problems if the level drops lower than 400. The dr. explained that some labs consider over 250 normal. She now gets B12 injections monthly. Tablets did not work for her as they were not absorbed properly by her stomach.

Good luck to you.

Gelann

Lindajoy,

My daughter has low B12. The lab who does her blood work has a notation on the result sheet stating that some people might have symptoms of neurological problems if the level drops lower than 400. The dr. explained that some labs consider over 250 normal. She now gets B12 injections monthly. Tablets did not work for her as they were not absorbed properly by her stomach.

Good luck to you.

Gelann

Celiac disease/gluten intolerance causes an inability to absorb a lot of nutrients, B12 being one of the more notable ones.

Linda, a level of 269 is not an abnornal result, although it's on a low side of normal levels, and by no means would be the cause of your neuropathy. You do not need to follow this up with a methymalonic acid because this is not an abnormal result. There are many causes why a vitamin B12 level can vary within the wide range of normal values, but the important point is to take a vitamin B12 supplement. You can ask your doctor about that. Furthermore, recent studies have shown that even in patients with pernicious anemia - a condition where the stomach does not produce the intrinsic factor need for B12 absorption, oral doses of B12 are still adequate for to increase serum B12 levels. Thus, B12 IV shots are not necessary to increase your serum B12 to higher levels, even if your GI system is not working properly, because oral doses are sufficient.

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. Thank you, doctorguest, for your time and expertise. Could you tell me what could cause B12 to fluctuate so much? Maybe there's something I am doing to cause this and could prevent it. I'm sure it hasn't helped that I live on pork and potatoes right now due to allergies, GI problems and pancreas problems.

AGain, thanks, everyone. Exactly why I come to all of you!!!

Lindajoy