Dyspepsia

Hi,

After having an upper endoscopy as well as a gastric emptying study my GI doc diagnosed me with Dyspepsia. Just curious to see if anyone else has this?! I really thought I was going to have an ulcer because my stomach has been feeling so bad lately...I was reading up about Dyspepsia and there isn't really any one treatment thats very helpful. My GI doc wants me to continue taking the Zoloft my cardio prescribed, because that has helped some people. Just curious to see how others have made out.

Thanks,

Jacquie

Also, I hope everyone is doing well, I have alot of catching up on the board to do!

dypepsia is a broad descriptor... covering lots of potential issues... one is motility, and I definitely have issues with slow motility as discovered by multiple tests--gi emptying and full GI series. Your doc is right that there is some info out there that some ssri's may help--they do in my case on a very low dose.

Nina

Jacquie,

My brother has not been diagnosed with any sort of dysautonomia, but I wonder if he might have it in some form: A few years ago, he had stomach pain all of the time, could not eat, was as thin as a rail, etc. After a few years, they finally figured out that his problem was gastroparesis, which from what I've read is a common problem in people with dysautonomia. He was started on tricyclic antidepressants, and they really helped him. He doesn't have much of an issue with it anymore, which is nice for him.

But a side note: I also took tricyclics (nortriptyline) for a while because of nerve pain with my interstitial cystitis. It evidently affected my blood pressure, because I was blacking out even worse than normal. That's the closest I ever came to a full-fledged faint. Needless to say, I'm not taking that anymore. I take Paxil, and it does not have the same effect.

I don't know if this information is of any help, but here it is anyway!

Amy