Dog for Sale!!!!

Sue

I thought you would all enjoy this, this morning.

Today is my daughter Kellys birthday. So last night we made her favorite cake, frosted it and left it on the cupboard. Probley around 2 a.m. I hear the dog in the kitchen pushing his water bowl around. so I get up and go in the kitchen. The cake is half gone!!!! and I have a 110 pound yellow lab with pink frosting all over his face. So I look at him, and asked him what the heck did you do????? Not only do I not get the usual guilty dog look, he pushes his water bowl towards me like PLEASEEE I need a drink now.

Can you believe it haha

Time to go make another cake!!! Happy birthday Kelly! :D

Sue

Sorry you had to make another cake... but it is hilarious! Sounds like our dog, my sister was trying to make a grilled cheese sandwich so she had the bread out and put a slice of cheese on it then turned around to put the cheese back in the fridge. When she turned back to the bread the cheese she had just got out was gone! She got another piece out and put the cheese back again. The cheese once again disappeared... The third time she kept an eye on the cheese and watched the dog quietly reach up onto the table and inhale the cheese; then sit back down where he was before. Ours was a mixed breed but looked like a lab.

Happy birthday to your daughter!!

Ha! Your dog story made me laugh. Especially since I am sitting here working away on my computer and I just looked over next to me and my dog has done one of his watery grass pukes all over the floor. I think he's getting me back for taking him to the vet yesterday...LOL! Time to go clean-up. Thank God I have hardwood floors!

Michelle

Sue

Sorry you had to make a new cake! I have too many similar stories about my 3-year old "puppy"--a black lab mix we adopted in 2000. He has a ravenous appetite and poor habits that I don't know how to correct. Good thing he's a sweetheart otherwise! He's eaten sandwiches off of plates set on tables and stools, and the worst thing he did recently was eat a whole plate of lentil patties I had just cooked and placed on the kitchen counter to cool. He also is prone to puking grass, which I guess he medicates himself with after eating things he shouldn't! He does this so often, my 21 month-old can say "Mommy, Takoda pooked!"

Michelle--I am also glad not to have carpeting for this reason! :)

Katherine

Sue,

This is way too similar to my life. My black lab can open our refrigerator with his paw and eat from it. He also has eaten everything from Thanksgiving leftovers (cursed for days by my husband) to flour (messy carpets!) to birdseed (this was definitely the grossest -- it came out looking exactly as it did going in, and he wasn't vomiting it, if you know what I mean) and yes, birthday cake. He is the most intelligent dog I have ever encountered, but incredibly stupid because he would eat himself to the death. I have had to take him to the doggie hospital twice to have his stomach pumped because he broke into the garage and ate 5 pounds of dog food.

He finishes his meals in less than 30 seconds. It's like every meal he is trying to set a world record. I have heard labs are famous for this.

We have become accustomed to never leaving food out -- anywhere. Our trash is in a wooden bin with a lid he can't open; no food can sit on the counters. My infant daughter can't even eat a teething biscuit without him stealing it. He is so out of control, but he is the sweetest dog and we love him. He loves my daughter and he makes her laugh daily. :)

We tried a behavioral expert and even she didn't have many ideas. We weren't ambitious enough to follow her advice, so we live with his mischief. :P

I am going to go hug my pups!

Amy

Amy and Katherine, your dog stories made me laugh too. Thanks for sharing. I have a belgian tervuren (my dog looks like the long haired one on that webpage). He is the sneakiest dog I've ever had. My husband had to make a special trash can to try to prevent him from getting in. My dog, Ted, still figured out that if he grabs hold of the bit of bag that folds over the outside he can carefully pull the bag up with his teeth and get the lid to open that way. We also have to watch him like a hawk if there is ever any food left out. The other day I made burgers and told my son his was on a paper plate on the counter. He went in the kitchen to get it and found the paper plate empty on the floor. The worst thing about my dog is that he doesn't look guilty in the slightest when he does these things. He just looks up at you with his goofy smily face and wagging tail. The dog has no remorse! But ah well, I love him anyway. He has a great personality and loves people and animals alike. I completley trust him around kids, even little ones who pull his hair out. He's a really well mannered dog in that respect (at least he has something going for him).

Michelle

Amazing how smart our dogs are :P I thought I'd share one more story!!! Later that afternoon at Kellys party my dad (who is paralyzed from a stroke) is sitting in his wheelchair laughing uncontrollably. None of us can figure out what the heck is wrong with him. My brother starts yelling at Buddy who has conveniently sat in the middle of the kiddy pool and won't let none of the little ones in!!!!! Can you believe it. He also taught himself that day to open the cooler and help himself to the ice cubes. He too is lucky he is the sweetest thing.. On top of being so mischievious he is very intelligant. He has always stood next to my father whenever we transfer him from his chair to the car. He mostly is in the way but somehow he knows and thinks he is helping.. and for whatever reason my dad feels more comfortable with the dog by him (he's big, buddy weighs 120 and all muscle). If someone tells him to move my dad yells. Amazing huh...

Have a great day.

Sue

All your stories are sooo cute!! My doggie (a 110 pound Golden Retreiver named Noah) stayed with my parents when I moved away from home (he was the family dog and I was living in a one bedroom apartment!) and I miss him very much...but we still get to visit every time we go to my parents house.

The funniest thing he ever did was eat a pair of my pantyhose and we had to have them extracted via emergency visit. The worst part was that I was 16 years old, and had my boyfriend over at my house when he wasn't supposed to be, and he was the one who saw the dog eat them! I had to take him home first, then take the dog to the vet so I wouldn't get caught. Sheesh....

I have told all of you about Jasmine. Well she is still the best medication I have. Last week she did not leave me alone and insisted on sleeping on my stomach. I have to cuts and she knew that and only wanted to put her head on them to comfort me. She insisted on sleeping in bed with me the whole week. Dozy my new baby in my life does all the entertainment for us. People would think we don’t feed him, if they came to visit suppertime. Jasmine is beautiful and thin and Dozy is Fat quote from the vet. They are nothing but a daily blessing in our lives and help me get through the most horrible of days.

I would recommend getting a dog for anyone with all our problems. They are better than any medication or doctor. Dont know what it is but they help me everyday.

Sue, that is too funny! Our cats once got into a loaf of challah (egg bread) and a huge Scottish shortbread--both of which I'd gotten from the Reading Terminal Market in anticipation of guests coming the next morning. The cats actually ate THROUGH paper bags and plastic wrap...left me a pile of crumbs. I'm sure the several pounds of butter that were in the shortbread were quite tasty. I'll never know!!!

Nina