Weirdness

roxie

Whenever I eat I get nauseas and bloated, but I also feel like my whole body gets cramps. I always have to go and do stretches after I eat, and the lay down b/c of the bloating and nausea.

Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what can I do about it besides stretch?

Madeline

I don't really get the nausea...but I get substantial bloating! I mean it looks like I am in 2nd or 3rd trimester of pregnancy! :) I find lying down helps with the uncomfortableness this bloating causes me.

I have noticed that if I eat really small meals (like 200 calories) it doesn't do that. So I just try to eat 6 small meals throughout the day. Lots of low-fat, high protein, good carbs type foods to keep me healthy and full. I know statistics state that a lot of POTS sufferers get aggravation upon heavy or big meals.

Have you noticed if this is all the time, or if it just happens after a big (what may be normal to others) meal?

I also have problems with bloating and feeling bad after eating,as far as the nausea,I am almost always nauseated,from mild to very severe. I find eating small amounts,more often does help.

This brings me to more questions???? I am never sure if my eating problems are from gastroparisis or POTS,or both?? I am wondering what percentage of the POTS patients have gastroparisis? Do they go together? What came first the chicken or the egg?

Thanks Pat

I WONDER THAT TOO!!! well, i wonder what really is gastroparesis? how it is treated? And how do you tell the difference between gastroparesis and IBS????

Does anyone know? Please let us know if you do

Madeline

Hi Madeline, sorry it took me so long to see your question about gastroparesis. If I might suggest (not just to you) that when you title threads, include more descriptive info, like instead of just weirdness after eating, put "weirdness after eating" in the top title, then list some symptoms in the subtitle like "bloating, nausea, cramping". That way, when folks like me are skimming titles to see what we might be able to provide some decent input, we can see quickly if we can "relate" to what you've posted.

back to your question...

The American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society has some really good information on gastroparesis. In simplest terms, it's when the stomach and/or bowels no longer are contracting properly to pass food along.

Nina

When you say all over body cramps, can you describe what it feels like? Sometimes, after eating, my guts will cramp, which will lead to my back cramping clear up into my neck and shoulders, then my head and face will feel tight--I guess that's how the cramps feel, like a tightness--and even my legs will start to feel tight, then. Is that how you feel?

I think Radha does the same thing, don't you Radha?? I have no idea what it is. I've been doing it for over a year. If this sounds like you and you find out what it is, could you please let me know? Thanks.

Lindajoy

Madeline, it almost sounds like you're describing hypermotility--where stuff is rapidly moving along and your guts are in a constant squeeze.

If you look at the link I gave you, the symptoms your describe seem most like "dumping syndrome". Please be sure to discuss this with your doctor and perhaps see a gastroenterologist if you've not already done so.

Nina