Tyramine Free Diet

Sophia3

sophia et al -

i am pretty sure that the diet at vanderbilt during the research study was tyramine free, though i'm not 100% certain. i'll try to remember to check my vanderbilt file tomorrow as i think i still have the info re: the diet from while i was there. i think the restriction though was b/c of an effect that the restricted/ items could have on test results, but again i'll check & see if i have further info.

;) melissa

Melissa,

The reason I ask this is even though yogurt is low on the tyramine list, I get odd feeling afterwards....not exactly adrenalin surges but just feel weird...I get the same way after eating luncheon meats..even the pricey "preservativ free Boar'shead stuff."

Also I have NEVER tolerated vinegars, pickles, umibushi plums years ago and miso soups years ago. So just wondered if many were familiar with this.

I got some blueberries and thought about making some home made yogurt but got to feeling odd after three servings of plain yogurt and blueberries.

Very weird.

Thanks for the feedback.

8)

People with POTS tend to have a blunted response to tyramine. In normal people, tyramine causes an increase in blood pressure. This happens because the tyramine is picked up by the norepinephrine transporter and brought into the nerve cell, where it triggers a release of norepinephrine from the nerve cell. In people with POTS, the norepinephrine transporter is probably either missing or not functioning, so the blood pressure doesn't increase in response to tyramine.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/reprint/342/8/541.pdf

So I don't think the tyramine content of the diet matters to someone with POTS. It might be important for people with other autonomic nervous system problems that look like POTS. I don't know. It makes sense that a research facility would put the subjects on a low-tyramine diet, just to keep variations in tyramine intake from screwing up their results.

Tyramine intake would matter to a normal person who is taking an MAO inhibitor, because the monoamine oxidase (MAO) enzyme is responsible for breaking down tyramine. If you inhibit the enzyme, you could get a tyramine "overdose" and end up with severely high blood pressure.

It's the New England Journal of Medicine's Web site. Just go to their main page (http://content.nejm.org) and create a login. Then you can read anything that's a few months old or older for free. It's an interesting article about a genetic form of POTS.

I know someone who's on an MAO inhibitor, and she has to avoid tyramine. But she doesn't have POTS.