Special Delivery

ArmyMom46

About 12:15 yesterday, I got a message from security at my office that I had a perishable package at the front desk and I needed to pick it up immediately. I had no idea what it could be, nor who could be sending me a package at work. I looked over the balcony into the atrium and saw an enormous box at the front desk. I could make out a label that said "Mann Family." Now I was even more curious! And since I use a cane when I walk, I was wondering how in the world I would be able to bring whatever it was back up to my desk with me.

When I got off the elevator and approached the box, I noticed a return label. I was in shock. Surely not! It wasn't possible, was it?! Then I also noticed friends from church standing nearby, one of them with a video camera. At the time it sunk in what was in the box, the box opened. Imagine my surprise and delight! My very special soldier was home! Earlier than he had told us he would be home on leave!

Needless to say, he was hugged and not let go. Tears of joy were shed! By me, and by those who observed our reunion!

After a few minutes, I decided I was going home for the day. There's no way I wanted to stay at work another minute!

I went upstairs to make sure my boss would let me go, and to shut down my computer. When I got off the elevator, most of my team was there. They had been watching the reunion taking place down below. Most of them had tears in their eyes, too!

I have a very wonderful and understanding boss. He had no problem letting me leave early!

Thank you, Gordon and Rose family, for planning such a delightful surprise for me!

thanks so much for sharing your wonderful story! i can only imagine how amazing the moment must have been. i'm so happy for you (& your son & the rest of your family). i hope your time together is wonderful & that january will come quickly for you all.

B) melissa

Hi Dawn,

sorry that you've had to make that trip to the airport to see your son off back to Iraq. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be a relative of service personnel.

I'm glad that you have been able to enjoy time with him during his leave and I hope that time passes quickly until he is safely back home with you in the New Year.

All the best to yourself and your family,

Flop

dawn -

i'm sure that the visit flew by WAY too fast & will be hoping & praying that the time between now & when your son is safely back in your arms goes even faster. until then take care of yourself the best that you can. hang in there...i can't imagine how hard that must be.

:) melissa