Neurocardiogenic Syncope

Hello everyone,

I saw a neuro doctor today and he thinks I do not, in fact, have POTS as previously diagnosed by a cardiologist. He says I most likely have Neurocardiogenic syncope. I feel like the rug has been pulled out from me! All this time I thought I had POTS. All my symptoms identify with POTS. Can any of you who have NCS give some comments? Anything appreciated.

Thank you,

Bri

hi bri -

in short, i'd say the rug is still there (rather than pulled out from under you :) ). while i now have an entirely different diagnosis altogether, my initial diagnosis was NCS & then i received a POTS diagnosis several years after that...not b/c the first diagnosis was a mistake but rather that i then fit the diagnostic criteria for both NCS & POTS. all in all many of the treatments, symptoms, etc are the same. while they are different diagnoses they are both varients of dysautonomia. an individual can in fact actually have both diagnoses simultaneously. and theoretically i suppose someone could have testing that showed one of them on one day & the other on another day. so while some people fit a very "classic" diagnosis of one or the other, there is A LOT of overlap so things may not have changed for you as much as you may be thinking.

there are some meds that tend to be geared toward one or the other a bit more (i.e. beta blockers for those with POTS), but more meds than not (as well as non-med treatments/ recommendations) are used for both diagnoses (as well as for other varients of autonomic dysfunction).

hope this helps,

B) melissa

i've been told i have both ncs and pots. There is a ton of overlap--try not to get too upset about it right now b/c the treatments are pretty much the same.

nina

As previously stated Melissa, they are both very similar. I have been diagnosed with both also, like Nina. I really can't tell you that I notice the difference between the two (i.e. NCS symptoms one day, and POTS the next). The main DINET site has great info on NCS (as well as POTS). Read through it, and you will probably feel "better" in the sense that the rug is still there.

I definitly have POTS - heart rate skyrocketed to 170 on tilt test.

I have syncope too but haven't had syncope on the tilt table or whilst on a cardiac monitor. I had a blackout whilst standing talking to a doctor and he said my pulse was about 50/min just after I hit the floor, so it was concluded that the syncope was probably neurocardiogenic in origin.

Lots of us have POTS and NCS.

Don't be too worried about what different doctors label your condition as - you know how you feel, your treatment should be guided by how you feel and the meds for NCS and POTS are mainly the same anyway.

Take care,

Flop