Adrenaline Rush Brought On By Eating?

Radha

I read something about the Roemheld Syndrome few years back at it seemed to sync with me.  I get instant stomach discomfort and tachy after I eat, no matter how small.  The explanation I got was that if your digestive system produces too much gas/pressure after food, it pushes your diaphragm up against your heart with then tends to trigger some sort of panic attack and then a tachycardia.  Every food I eat causes an adrenaline rush and in my case, it feels like life is being squeezed out of me.  Studying through all these this past weekend, I also learnt that this might be caused by Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO).  Its all so confusing so I decided I am going to set an appointment with my doctor to see what he can do to get some answers.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:45 AM, MikeO said:

Sounds like this happens shortly after eating. Wondering if your bp is dropping after a meal. Due you have a home bp monitor? 

Yes.  I honestly don't normally take my bp after a meal but i'll check that.  However the tachycardia episodes happen, my blood pressure gets very high.  I've seen it as high as 165/110 when my normal range with the losartan is around 115/75.

21 hours ago, Rexie said:

I try to eat smaller, more frequent, varied nutritional meals (or drink smoothies), and regularly take probiotics that contain Lactobacillus and/or Bifidobacterium to help produce GABA. Once in awhile on bad eating days, I’ll take a balanced B-vitamin tab to ensure I have adequate B6. I also use herbal supplements (ashwagandha, passion flower, chamomile) that increase GABA, and slippery elm to increase overall digestive health. 

Exercise helps increase GABA and balance your GABA-glutamate system. Yoga is especially good for increasing GABA if you’re into that (I am not). Try taking a walk or do something else of low-to-moderate activity after eating and resting a bit, to remove and let dissipate the fizz of overstimulation and its assorted sensations while letting your body come into balance. And don’t fret. Eating is good and necessary. Bon Appetit! 

I used to take probiotics frequently but I am currently out and waiting test results on my gut biome before I buy more.  I do take B vitamins on a semi-regular basis, usually on lower energy days.  And for exercise I normally walk in the morning, usually at least 3 days a week for 2-5 miles...depending on how much energy/time I have.  Once we get out of the summer I will probably start walking at least 5 days a week again.

As for drugs, I only take asthma medication (both albuterol and advair) as well as losartan, metoprolol, diclofenac when needed (arthritis NSAID), and taltz.  I seldom drink, maybe a drink once or twice a year.  I do drink caffeine, mostly in the form of hot tea.  I will typically drink black teas in the morning, and oolong in the evening before bed.

16 hours ago, Abe said:

I read something about the Roemheld Syndrome few years back at it seemed to sync with me.  I get instant stomach discomfort and tachy after I eat, no matter how small.  The explanation I got was that if your digestive system produces too much gas/pressure after food, it pushes your diaphragm up against your heart with then tends to trigger some sort of panic attack and then a tachycardia.  Every food I eat causes an adrenaline rush and in my case, it feels like life is being squeezed out of me.  Studying through all these this past weekend, I also learnt that this might be caused by Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO).  Its all so confusing so I decided I am going to set an appointment with my doctor to see what he can do to get some answers.

This is interesting Abe because this is very similar to what happens to me. I start feeling gas pressure, and heavy bloating and all of a sudden I get an adrenaline rush.  I will have to look into this.  I did a home gut biome test (with Biohm) hoping that I might see something odd with my gut bacteria.  Still waiting on the results of that.

Good luck with the doctor, I know when I tried to describe my symptoms to my GI doctor he said that was just not possible, and tried to explain to me how I am probably swallowing a bunch of air to cause that amount of gas.

• 9 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 2:34 PM, Abe said:

Hi @Abejust following up to see if you able to get in and get any answers on this. Not sure if i have the same thing going on but i do get the stomach/pressure and tachy after eating (i love cooking just not eating) and i will also feel the pressure with my heart which keeps getting me into trouble with my cardiologist when i bring it up so i stopped as there is nothing wrong with it. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, MikeO said:

Hi @Abejust following up to see if you able to get in and get any answers on this. Not sure if i have the same thing going on but i do get the stomach/pressure and tachy after eating (i love cooking just not eating) and i will also feel the pressure with my heart which keeps getting me into trouble with my cardiologist when i bring it up so i stopped as there is nothing wrong with it. 

@MikeOI haven't been able to go see my doctor and honestly, I am too frustrated to even pursue anything anymore.  Just have been struggling so much lately.  I haven't had a single symptom free day this year and everything just seemed to be getting worse.  I can barely work anymore.  The one thing that has kept me going through this nightmare, has gotten too difficult to do.  I tried an SNRI again and had to stop after just a week. Not sure how many medications I have to try before I get a semblance of normalcy again.  I'm interested in what others are doing to snap out of this insane, never-ending circle of misery.

12 hours ago, Abe said:

I haven't been able to go see my doctor and honestly, I am too frustrated to even pursue anything anymore.  Just have been struggling so much lately.

Oh @AbeI was hoping you had made some progress by now. I know you been having a really rough time. I wish i had a smoking gun to help out but i don't. Like you my last year and a half has been a living nightmare. Just one flare after another 4 ER trips and numerous med changes.

I did make some headway with my GI problems since last fall but yet it reared it's ugly head again. No sure if the Ranolazine helped but i can share that i did limit my diet to what i think are my safe foods (or do not feel really Ill after eating) but had just recently ventured out to eating a more diverse diet and the GI issues cropped up again.

I since went back to my restricted diet and it has helped.

I hope you do find something that will help you.

Wish you the best.

Mike

• 4 months later...

I'm so glad I found this old thread.  It's saved me from months of  constant adrenaline rushes and physical disability.  My acupuncturist told me to drink 8 glasses of warm water a day. This is when my adrenal gland became overactive.  I didn't know what was wrong and docs thought I was a hypochondriac. Symptoms...Dizziness, blood pressure spikes, pressure headache, brain fog, shaking after any meal. I started drinking very cold water with coconut milk, which I was told lowers cortisol before every meal. It took 24 hours for all symptoms to disappear! Thanks to everyone who contributed!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2007 at 6:18 PM, Sunfish said:

though it's probably not what is going on with all who have problems after eating, one possibility is something called dumping syndrome. essentially it's a motility problem wherein the stomach empties too fast (as opposed to gastroparesis which is too slow). it's most discussed in the context of those who have had gastric bypass surgery but can happen on its own as well. it tends to happen more with certain types of foods but isn't limited to those either. and it can cause tachy, dizziness, GI discomfort, sweating, flushing, & other things as well. for some it might be something to look into.

hope this helps,

:( melissa

Been wondering if dumping syndrome (early / late) exactly the same as rapid gastric emptying? 

Heard the latter can often occur in POTS. Is that widely known by doctors?  

On 8/30/2021 at 8:34 PM, Abe said:

Is SIBO common in POTS? 

• 9 months later...

I have hyperaldosterone. I take spironolactone and rx potassium meds for this. I got tired of paying for the rx potassium and now supplement with cream of tarter. I’ve had this so long that I can tell when it’s needed. 
Anyway, I’ve had the flushing and palpitations with eating high carb/ large meals FOREVER. I have learned that taking a teaspoon of cream of tarter (far below the dangerous limits) before or even immediately after a meal will prevent and even stop (if it’s already begun) most every time. This is not needed when I’m eating low carb. 

I am in no way suggesting anyone do this haphazardly, but I know how miserable I was and looked for answers for years.