Nina Had Blood Clot/surgery

Hi everyone,

If you've read Nina's latest post, you know she was having some complications after her breast reduction surgery. It turns out she had a blood clot and had to have another surgery today. She got through the second surgery okay and even managed to joke on the phone with me that she wanted to make them smaller, not bigger. If all goes well, she'll be able to go home this evening.

Michelle

of course SO sorry that there was a problem but even more glad that it was caught/ remedied. hang in there miss mouse...

B) melissa

Hi Everyone,

I am writing this note for Nina, she wanted everyone to know that she is doing okay. I brought her home tonight and she is resting as comfortable as to be expected. She is in good spirits and is cracking jokes. B)

Nina appreciates all of your concerns and she said she will write soon.

Teri

I'm glad you made it in, and I hope you're feeling better soon.

Love and hugs,

Megan

Hello everyone... as you know, I can't sleep when taking opiates. It's 3:35 am and so I thought I'd take the opportunity to fill you in.

As I woke this morning at about 7 am (now yesterday morning), I noticed my right breast felt full and hurt. We tried ice, heat, alternating ice and heat, some advil, staying in bed, but it just get getting bigger, harder and more painful. By noon, I hit my pain threshold and told Teri to please call the doctor; he called us back from the message we left with his service within less than 5 minutes. Once Teri explained what she could see, and how I was feeling he wanted me to either go to our local ER (uh, NO WAY!!) or meet him at his office (about 45 minutes from our house). Teri instantly said that going to the ER here wasn't a an option and that she would bring me to him.

He was awesome--opened his office to meet me there. We got there by 1:40 and he took one look at the breast and said I needed to get into surgery immediately... If Teri hadn't warned me that I'd probably be having surgery today, I think I would have lost it... we drove from his office to the hospital, and he followed us.

He had me admitted straight to a floor--I didn't even need to go to admissions, just reported to the nurses station on the floor where my room was located. They took me straight to my room, and in less than an hour I was all settled with my ID's, IV's, bloodwork. At about 3:30, an O.R, was ready for us. I had a short meeting with the anesthiologist--who was also awesome; they decided full general anesthesia with intubation was safer for me than a lighter sleep due to dysmotility, GERD, drug allergies, etc. They had me use an inhaler before we went into the O.R. at 4:15 or so.

When they reopened my incisions on the right breast, then found an arterial bleed and large clot. Gross. I kind of wonder if the rupture was EDS related b/c I'd not increased my activity level--I was LESS active the day and night before. The surgeon told me that he's not had a patient have a delayed hemotoma like this in many years... but that it happens from time to time and wasn't sure if EDS may have played a role.

Anyway, I was out of surgery and in the recovery area by 5:30, back to my room at about 6, and was told that if I could eat and keep down clear fluids, as well as pass some urine, I could go home. I was sprung at around 8pm, and back to my own bed at 9pm, with Wilbur at the ready... he gave his momma plenty of kisses. (he's followed me downstairs from bed to keep watch while Teri gets a well needed, and hard earned sleep)

To those of you who expressed concern in my "spoke too soon" post, thank you so much--I listened to my gut which told me that something was seriously wrong, and apparently many of you figured out that I needed urgent medical attention. Thanks for being a safety net--I didn't get to read your posts until I got home (well, Teri read them to me), but it made my heart warm to be reminded of how great the members of this forum are.

You are all in my heart, and I truly do feel your warm wishes helping me to recover. With love, Nina B)

nina,

hope you're sleeping a healthy recovering sleep by now. i am glad teri and your doc have taken so very good care of you. you take it easy now, okay??!! there'll be plenty of time for dinnerparties and other fun stuff once you have fully recovered from these surgeries!!! (starting to feel like my mum now B) ).

take care,

corina :)

Goodness gracious, Nina- I missed the posts yesterday. I am so glad you got medical attention ASAP and it was handled so quickly. Hope you have some restful nights soon- hang in there.

Carmen

Nina, thinking of you,and wishing you a speedy recovery,Pat

Well some people will do anything to hang onto a boob (I got a pace maker, which is larger than they are, so I am permanently lopsides) LOL

Anyway, just joking and am really glad things turned out okay and you are home safely in your own bed. Nothing like a hospital to make you appreciate home is there? Take care sweetie and heal up fast now! No more boo boos...so to speak...trying to be funny morgan (mostly jealous morgan) B)

Hello again everyone...

As I'm being weaned off the pain killers, I'm better able to sleep--me and my "paradoxical" reaction to opiates. It's probably the closest I'll get to understanding what mania is--my thoughts just race and race on the stuff despite my body being beyond tired.

I'm doing okay, just exhausted, sore and, of course, a bit bruised. I got some sleep last night and look forward to some naps today :) Tomorrow I see the surgeon again for a check up--I was SUPPOSED to have my ep cardio appointment down at the Univ of Penn, but I'll have to cancel that (grrr---waited a month and a half for the date!).

My dad and his wife swung by yesterday on their way back to Maryland from Connecticut--our house is at about the half-way mark for the drive, so we're a frequent family rest stop. Was good to see them, and the visit was short enough that I didn't feel totally wiped out. Wilbur was a hoot--made them laugh quite a bit. He's been very sweet with me; last night he slept between me and Teri, by our heads, and kept his body in contact with me at all times. I also got loads of kisses from him--as I've told you before, he seems to think I need LOTS of cleaning, although this a.m. was a bit much b/c he got me square on the mouth on the first lick, waking me instantly, of course! I can only laugh (and rub my mouth on the sleeve of my t-shirt B)).

You have all helped me and Teri get through this--she liked reading your posts as much as I.

Hugs (super gentle, with NO frontal contact please!!!) to you all. :)

So glad to hear you are doing better,hope you can get some good sleep,continue to take good care.Teri you take care too.

Pat

Well... I've been gone for several days - look what happened!

Grrrrr.....

SO glad everything came out okay, Nina. Your surgeon sounds awesome!

Teri - We really appreciate all the care and attention you give to our Mouse!

Wilbur - happy headbutts to you!!