Ideas For Easily Digestible Foods?

I would avoid meat and dairy products and caffeine, and stick with things like toast, bananas, apples, rice, carrots, broth, sprouts (try sprouted lentils, chickpeas, peas, and soybeans- yum! ), and kombucha tea. Some people find cruciferous veggies (cabbage, broccoli, etc. ) difficult to digest, but if you love them it might help to gently steam them. Stick to more whole foods in general, and try to limit the overly processed things. If I'm trying to detox, I might eat brown rice with steamed veggies and tofu with some herbs and salt, accompanied by detox tea and kombucha. However, pretty much anything high in fiber will help to clean you out beforehand. But I imagine this won't substitute for whatever laxative drink you will probably be required to take regardless. Unfortunately. And those are effective, I mean, think about it: they're given regularly to people over 50, who often tend to have poorer eating habits (due to decrease in tasting ability, eating alone, $$, etc, ), and you have got to be clear for it, so I'm sure they are effective. No offense to anyone older, really! I just mean that doctors probably make you drink these things beforehand because they're effective.

Hi endoscopy units sometimes recommend a "low residue" diet before colonoscopy. It would include things like fish, chicken, white bread and white rice. Whilst normally high fibre foods help to keep you regular they take longer to digest so actually pass more slowly through the digestive tract.

Try googling for "low residue diet / foods" and see if that gives you any more ideas.

As someone else has already said they will give you a powerful laxative and if they want you to follow a specific diet they should have sent you a leaflet explaining. I think that a lot of departments now rely on the laxative and aren't so concerned about diet.

Hope that makes sense,

Flop

Jennifer,

I'd follow the hospitals advice on the bowel prep liquid. Some of them you can stop drinking once you are having totally clear liquid movements. Otherwise it is better to drink all of the stuff to reduce the chance of them not getting a good look and wanting to bring you back for a repeat test due to "inadequate prep".

Flop

I don't know, since my issues are diarrhea-related, I was cleared out within one hour, but the instructions clearly said to drink all of it. I know it's not fun, but better safe than sorry, and them telling you they couldn't do it after all and you'll have to do it all over again. Sorry!!! I think I was on a liquid diet for the day before, too, before starting the "stuff".