Questions about Compression hose

I have a few questions about compression hose...

1. What do they do to help POTS?

2. Do they help significantly?

3. How high do they have to be? waist? knees?

4. How often do you wear them? all the time? just when you are going out?

5. Where is the best place to get them?

Any answers would be great. I'm new to POTS and just looking for something to help me with school, church, going out to wal-mart, etc.

Dear cbhowell, I don't know about the others but they are nearly an everyday need for me. I only don't wear them when I know I'm not going to do anything. As to knee high vs. thigh high, I think you might want to discuss that with you're Doc. How do you feel and how much does low Blood pressure(Bp) effect you?Personally, it depends what you're going to do. In my case, I where the knee highs for short trips only. On the other hand, I'm heavy(working on losing) so I have to order my thigh highs. I have tried both the cheaper and more exspensive pairs, as to knee high, I really prefere the more costly Jobst brand, I like how it matches my skin and they last just a little longer. As to the thigh high, the are special ordered, I'm a "queen size" and petit, very hard to fiind in Walgreen's or Walmart.

Good luck, Blacwolf

Hi! Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Compression hose help prevent blood from pooling in your legs when you stand.

2. Speaking for myself, compression hose do help significantly. My blood pressure rises when I wear them (I have problems with low blood pressure) and my heart rate lowers.

3. Dr. Grubb recommends waist high 30-40 mm Hg. See: http://www.dinet.org/what_helps.htm

4. I wear mine to work, church etc., but not just around the house. However, some people put them on before getting out of bed in the morning and wear them all day every day.

5. I'd say the best place to get compression hose would probably be through a medical supply store that measures your legs and makes the hosiery to your measurements. However, that can be expensive, and if cost is a factor you may want to try a less expensive place like Bright Life Direct.

Hope this helps!

Michelle

I don't know if compression hosiery raise blood pressure much in normal folks, as they don't have problems with pooling blood in the first place. I've never looked that one up....hmmmm. Anyone out there know?

A doctor can recommend which grade would be best for you, etc.

Michelle