Florinef Question

Tammy

Hello! I was just wondering for those of you who have taken florinef, does it typically cause weakness (more so than the normal weakness with POTS)? I've been on Florinef for about 3 weeks now and it seems I'm getting weaker by the day. I also seem to be going pee a lot more than usual, so quessing that's a side effect to. It has seemed to of helped my "yuckies" - general unwell feeling overall, but not to where I'm feeling functionalable yet.

- Tammy

Hi Tammy,

I am also taking Florinef .1mg . I have only been on it for a couple of days to raise my BP so I can start taking my Beta Blocker (Toprol Xl) again. I have also had weakness and mild headaches. I posted a question about the side effects of this medication a couple of days ago and everyone seemed to have little side effects except for ( fluid retention, puffiness). I am very sensitive to meds since I never really had to take much until now so I have noticed certain changes. I am hoping this will raise my BP soon lately it has been 67/47. So I am not sure if the weakness is the med or my pressure. I am glad to hear that the "yuckies" seem to be getting better , I know that for many people this medicine has been great for that. I hope to be one of those lucky people soon. Take care

Erica :D

Hi Tammy,

Florinef (fludrocortisone) works by causing the kidneys to reabsorb sodium from the urine, water follows the sodium back into the bloodstream. Therefore florinef should actually make you retain water (puffy ankles are a fairly common side effect) not urinate more than usual.

Are you passing large volumes of urine or just passing a small amount more often? Have you any symptoms of a urine infection (cystitis) like burning or stinging when you pee?

I'm not sure about the weakness, I know that the other type of steroids (glucocorticoids, like prednisolone and cortisone) can cause muscle weakness but you would have to check with your doctor or pharmacist about fludrocortisone.

I think that the best thing to do would be to call the doctor that prescribed the fludrocortisone or your PCP and report these new symptoms to them, they might want to do some checks or alter the dose that you are on.

Hope you're feeling a bit better soon,

Flop

weakness associated with florinef could be related to low potassium. potassium depletion is a common problem with florinef but some doctors aren't as viligant about monitoring potassium levels as others. many people have to be very conscious of dietary potassium intake or even take supplements when on florinef as low potassium isn't something to mess around with.

if your potassium hasn't been checked very recently, i would definitely encourage you to ask your doctor about getting the bloodwork done. in the meantime you could try to get some extra potassium in on your own with potassium-rich food items (unless you have a medical reason to restrict potassium intake). there are many options from bananas to dried apricots. a quick search should give you a list of good options.

hope this helps,

:D melissa

Thanks for the potassium information Melissa, I'd forgotten about that angle. My cardiologist always tells me that there is no need for blood monitoring with fludrocortisone, and there is no mention of potassium in the information leaflet that comes with my prescription (I checked that for information on side-effects before writing my original post).

Flop