Social Security Disability

Hi everyone! I guess I am officially one of the lucky ones that gets approved for disability. It was my first time applying and I didn't use a lawyer. I think that one of the main reasons that I was approved is because I went to the Mayo Clinic for diagnosis. I also waited 2 years from when I stopped working to apply for benefits b/c I didn't want to have to think that I would need them (it was depressing to me then)...not sure if that made a difference. Even though I had been sick for that long, they said that I had only been sick since I was diagnosed at the Mayo clinic, so they only counted me as disabled for 6 months. I also went through in a list what I was unable to do in a day, what I needed help with, etc. I also thought about all of the possible jobs that they might try to say I could do, and made sure to mention that I couldn't sit for long periods, stand for long, drive, use the computer for long, etc so I wouldn't be able to function in any job. I just turned 29 and got sick at 26. I have POTS and fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, which may make a difference too.

If any of you are applying and need some advice, feel free to ask. I've been fairly sick over the past few weeks (which is why I haven't been on the forum for a while), so it may take me a couple of days to get back to you but I definitely will! Good luck to everyone else who is applying!

Best,

Lauren

:) Congrats,I am so happy for you, Hugs Pat

Lauren,

I applied in January and have my psychiatric evaluation coming up this Monday. I'm pretty nervous about it!!

I have POTS, small fiber neuropathy, hemapeligic migraines and hypermobility syndrome (EDS).

I'm in the same boat as you- don't drive, can't sit or stand for long periods of time, only use the computer in small doses and pass out pretty regularly. I was diagnosed at NIH and currently see drs. at the Cleveland Clinic and have also seen Dr. Grubb.

Its so frustrating b/c people work the system and get approved and then theres people like us who really need it and have to go through so much to get it.

Congrats on your approval first time... wish me luck!

Susie

Hi. Congrats to you. I too got approved the first time. No lawyer etc. They went back two years on me. 5 months is all it ook. Woo-Hoo. I was so extatic I was cryng. I could not believe it!

Believe it or not I believe what made me win.................... was my meeting that SSI set me u with the phsychiatist. I was there for a few hours and she watched me go down hill fast. She was even sympathetic. She told me no metter what I felt to make sure I talk to her and tell he exactly what I was feeling because her job is to evaaluate me from th time she answers the door till the time I leaaave.

I was SO relieved that I got it. My husband and I just split up too. He just told me aftwer 8 year he does not like my kids. What a joke HUH!? Andf I have prtty darn good kids.

So good luck to all of those fighting. My prayers are withyou!

Corina (aka hopeful-girl)

[Congrats on getting the disablity. I too have POTS. I have been in and out of jobs trying to cope with it but just cant. IM a stay at home mom now due to POTS and also im pregnant with my 3rd child. I wanted to apply for disablilty. See I have a tramatic brain injury due to a drunk driver hitting us 3 years ago. so I am somewhat disabled plus now the POTS is just not helping. My only concern and maybe you can shed some light. I heard that if I try to get disability that they will come in and assess if I can care for my children and there is a possibility that they could be taken away. Is that true?? I have no problem at all caring for my daughter and now im pregnant with another child. Onyl problems Ib have are in florescent lighting and large crowds and in the public work place. any suggestions or ideas????????

Thanks!

Trish

Congrats!!! That is truely great news!!! :D

Thanks to everyone for the congrats! It was quite a shock when I did get approved. For some reason I didn't have to get any doctor evaluations or the psychiatric evaluation, but it sounds like it can really help. I hope that the eval on Monday went well Susie!! :)

Trish, I'm not sure about applying for disability with children...they can be really obnoxious about pushing into every part of your personal life, so I wouldn't put it past them... The website has some info about it, but it might be better to search on the internet about it. You also might want to consider talking to a lawyer about it, b/c your case will be more complicated than mine since i don't have children. I don't think they'll charge you anything just for the advice, b/c a lot of them get money once youre approved, but I'm not sure.

GOOD LUCK to everyone who is applying! And don't give up hope even if you do get rejected the first time b/c a lot of people have to go through a few times before they get it.

And thanks again for all of the support. Having this website and support group available is so great b/c it's so nice to know that we're not alone and not crazy!

Please feel free to ask specific questions about the process, etc if you need advice...

Love you guys!

Lauren

Trish,

I don't know how the disability application process works if you alreay have a child. My son was born after I was approved for SSDI. If they do an assessment to see if you can care for your children I would think that they'd also have to take into consideration mental capability. Even if you have a day where it is hard for you to care for a child, if you have the mental capacity to direct a nanny or caregiver I don't see how they could say that you are incapable. But, like I said, I don't know the whole system. I'd recommend getting a lawyer to help you through the whole process. It is usually a long battle.

Also here is a previous topic you will probably find very helpful: http://dinet.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtop...;hl=disinissues The topic talks about how to explain what you can/cannot due because of your disability. There is also a link in that topic to the Disinissues site (Disbility Insurance Issues). It is an online group you can join to ask for and give advice about the whole disibility process. I highly recommend this. I think you'll be able to get some good answers and advice there.

Rachel