Good Book For Medical Dealings

mkoven

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say that I'm half way Groopman's "How Doctors Think," and I really like it. It's about the ways doctors arrive at diagnoses and misdiagnoses. As many of us struggle with how to get good care, it's a great, empowering book that humanizes patients and doctors as well as suggesting how to collaborate constructively. It's been well reviewed in a number of places.

Michele

Lucky you for getting hold of a copy. It was recommended to me by someone last month and I tried to get my local bookstore to order it but it wasn't on their electronic catalogue. Recently it was reviewed in "The Times" in the UK so hopefully the store may be able to get it now (I have the ISBN fron the newspaper review). It is supposed to be a book that both doctors and patients should read. Sounds wonderful to have a book written by a doctor who has been a patient himself - can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

Flop

here's more info on the book from npr:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=8892053

flop -

i haven't read it but have also heard good thing about the book. if you don't want to wait on your bookstore, here's a link to uk's amazon.com where they have it in stock. and if there's anything else on your list shipping could be free, something that's always my goal for online shopping:-).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Doctors-Think-...0339&sr=8-1

i don't have enough space for all the books i already have, especially since having to move back in with my parents (after 9 years on my own with more space to accumulate stuff ;) ) but i'm planning on seeing if the library has the book & having my mom pick it up when she's there at some point.

:) melissa

Thanks for the link Melissa,

I'm trying to find it locally in a store as I am always out at work when deliveries arrive so collecting them from the depot (30miles away) is a real hassle.

Oooh - just had a thought, my Mum's on holiday this week so maybe I could get it delivered to her address? I'll have to ask if she has any plans to go away.

Flop

i can SO understand the delivery issue! when i was working or schooling i had a similar problem that i dealt with creatively at times, especially as i often was able to get better prices on text books online than in the bookstore. with their okay, at one point i would have things delivered to the pool where i coached & taught swimming part time; someone was always at the front desk & i was there regularly at the time to either coach/teach or swim myself so it was perfect! another time i "used" (again after asking) the address of a friend from church who was a stay-at-home mom whose kids' schedule meant she was almost always home at mail delivery times. but that's here nor there & i'm just rambling, procrastinating on writing some updates that are long overdue both on here & on my website....rambling about nothing is so much more fun at times ;)

:) melissa

Melissa,

you may be rambling slightly off topic but it is helpful to me. You have jut got me thinking that one of my friends has a baby that is only a few weeks old so she is probably in a lot at delivery times - I wonder if she would take a delivery for me?

Anyway, as you can probably tell I'm rather enthusiastic to get this book (not sure when I'll find time to read it though). If anyone else had read it / started it please let me know what you think of it, what do you think of it from our point of view as patients? Would you want your doctor to read it? Would you give it to your doctor even???

Flop