Moving Fast And Symptoms

mkoven

Hi,

I've noticed that if I ride my scooter too fast, my symptoms are a lot worse. Does anyone else have this? It's like the speed is doing something to the blood flow to my brain??? I suddenly feel woozy, faint, and short of breath, when all I've done is move forward by pushing a button with my thumb-- so NOT strenuous-- just "wind through my hair" fast....

I get the same symptoms even when I'm watching a movie where people are moving too fast. I think part of it is the motion/acceleration, and the other part is the sensory overload of seeing things go by too fast. It helps me to close my eyes when I'm riding in a car, but I assume you don't want to do that when driving a scooter! :(

Eyes opened is generally a good idea when operating heavy machinery :( I had to scoot again, and this time went super slow. It helped. But it's strange.

The first time this happened was a year ago, and I ended up in the hospital,as I got weird one-sided weakness after a superfast scooter ride. They checked me out for stroke/TIA. Of course nothing turned up, and I didn't yet have a pots/ncs diagnosis. But it's key that the prolonged, seated, fast-moving scooter ride preceded the spell of lightheadedness, head pressure, and transient weakness...

And it's all reproducible...

below is the text mkoven, not much there

An actively-controlled bed reducing the effect of centrifugal force on patients

Ono, T. Inooka, H.

Graduate Sch. of Information Sci., Tohoku Univ., Sendai, Japan;

This paper appears in: SICE 2003 Annual Conference

Publication Date: 4-6 Aug. 2003

Volume: 3, On page(s): 2720- 2725 Vol.3

ISSN:

ISBN: 0-7803-8352-4

INSPEC Accession Number: 8160645

Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/SICE.2003.1323681

Posted online: 2004-08-24 11:19:00.0

Abstract

When an ambulance runs through a congested road or turns a corner, a patient receives the acceleration of the right-and-left direction. To reduce the patient's physical strain caused by such acceleration, we prototyped the actively-controlled bed which rotates around the patient's body axis synchronizing with the lateral acceleration. This article examines its effectiveness in terms of ride quality.

One particular type of chronic dizziness not related to vertigo (a feeling of turning or whirling usually associated with inner ear problems) has long vexed physicians, according to background information in the article. "Patients with this syndrome have chronic nonspecific dizziness, subjective imbalance and hypersensitivity to motion stimuli, which are exacerbated in complex visual environments (e.g., walking in a busy store, driving in the rain)," the authors write. Some researchers have proposed the term chronic subjective dizziness for this condition.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70220012332.htm

link from maxine's post

mkoven,

i am like you. i can not drive too fast AND noticed that i cannot be in my scooter (nor our car) without wearing compression hose (i've tried that when i had a pt appointment, as it is so tiring getting dressed-undressed-dressed again).

also, i found out that when i don't take my mestinon meds (had to stop using them when i had to be tested, some time ago), i cannot drive the scooter. too much movements and not able to be seated for more than about 10 minutes without the mestinon.

take care,

corina ;)