Getting Startled Too Easily

Radha

do any of you get startled very very easily, i mean when someone just talks suddenly even if they are not talking loudly, or if you hear a sudden noice and its not even that loud?? i always feel like i am about to jump out of my skin, and it just feels so so terrible and i cant even have a normal conversation with anyone for fear they will just talk suddenly! and when i get tense and startled, it takes a while to calm down and relax again, is this a part of POTS, is there any scientific reasoning for this? i would really appreciate any input, thanks

radha

Absolutely.

Any sudden noise or sometimes movement or something, and I "jump" and it sets the heart off. I dunno why, other than supposing that since that part of the nervous system is overactive anyway, the body overreacts to every little thing. It stinks, especially if you're trying to sleep, study, work, or something. To calm things down quickly, I just take deep breaths and wait!

Same here. 'since that part of the nervous system is overactive' - makes so much sense to me, I can't believe I never heard it in those words, sheds a whole new light on my jumpyness - I also have overly sensative joint reflexes, I wonder if that now could be related as well.

I've been startled out of the beginning of naps so may times, I've given up on trying to get one most days. It's hard for me to get back to a state where I can relax enough again to fall asleep fully. It also gives me troubles while I'm trying to get school work accomplished - drives me crazy.

Startle response is mediated by many structures, including parts of the brain, as well as the peripheral autonomic nervous system. It's a very primitive reflex that is also a component of the "fight and flight" system. Increased startle response can be seen in many neurologic diseases, but what is pertinent to this discussion is that it can indicate "an overactive state of alertness". It can also be associated with anxiety states, as both anxiety and autonomic dysfunction are mediated by the same output system.

Since being a small child I have had this problem of being startled, but mostly by loud noises. I had a fear of balloons as a child. I love them now----but I still fear the loud noise if they pop. However, I think anyone who doesn't expect a balloon to pop will jump, but for me the effect just lasts longer.

I think it's just lovely that we have a guy down the street that loves to light those m-80 fireworks/or whatever it is he lights------------sounds like a major bomb if you ask me. There is no warning, just the loud explosions.

I also find that I'm over stimulated very easily-----------------bright lights, loud TVs, loud music, and even watching a action flick can mess me up for a night---maybe longer.

Here's s funny thing. I have two cat's, one of them being a long hair, and once in a while I see a little hair ball flying accross the floor. Sometimes I mistake it for one of those centipedes because they run so fast. shocked3.gif

I jump out of my skin, then I'm overstimulated for a while.

I'm just wondering if this is just another part of ANS dysfunction also.

Maxine :0)

wow! its so great to know i am not the only one, but this problem really really interferes with daily life, my mom who is my primary caregiver is so understanding, i have told her to just not talk to me at all because i just cannot stand getting startled because it takes so so long to calm down again and if happens even few times, i get very emotional, angry and even cry. and if she does have to tell me something i need her to put her finger up and give me plenty of warning, its that bad, and i cant handle a normal conversation with anyone in person or on phone for fear they will talk suddenly, even if its not shouting, is there anything other than drugging yourself with tons of xanax or valium to help this? thanks again for all your replies,

radha

I think I would try a beta blocker before a tranquilizer, for excessive "startle" in POTS. The beta blocker will probably work better, and it's not habit-forming.

Magnesium supplementation might also help. Magnesium deficiency causes excessive "startle" responses. If you are taking Florinef, you probably need a magnesium supplement.

I'm known as the jumpy queen. I jump and get scared over every little noise, and I am so sensitive in the car with other people driving. I drive people crazy while they are driving cause I always feel like other people get to close to us or like we are going to hit something.. It's annoying for me and for the people I am driving with.. I have such a sensitivity to sounds and sudden motions. I work in a spa and salon for dogs and evertime I am working on an animal and he flinches it sends me to the moon. I have all my coworkers laughing at me.. It's relly pretty funny...

I've found that these type of ancillary symptoms seem to go away when my main POTS symptoms are under control. So rather than trying something like Xanax, my vote would be to stick with the more traditional POTS meds which help all of your symptoms as a whole.