I Am Very Upset Need Imput!!!!

Hello Everyone, This may sound petty but I am so Mad right now. I have a part time job that I have had now for 8 years. It is at a womens clothing store at the mall. I have been there for almost 8 years now. I took a medical leave for 3 months around October of 05'. I am really sick again. This company allows sick leave for Part Timers up to 12 weeks unpaid like once a year. This company knows I have a medianl condition. I was told by my boss once that I was a burden on other employees and out of all those years I have never really taken sick days called off except for the medical leave in 05'. So anyways they had a secret shopper com in to the store and I was with 2 customers at the same time and was approached by this secret shopper and had the worst write up I feel ever existed.

Sorry I hit the wrong tab. Anyways.... This report was so bad on my proformance and this secret shopper even wen so far as to say How messy my hair was and how bad my appearance was. I am in shock. I am one of the best dressers there. I even just was featured on a Bare Minerals Infomercial for Mineral Makeup. I am not saying that I am a beauty queen I sure have my bad days but I am dressed nice when at work. I am so shocked and upset I really deel descriminated aganist. Am I crazy or do I have any leg to stand on here? I know some people say just leave but This feels just so wrong to me. I would really appreicate honest opinions here. Thank you so much::o)

Kimberley

I don't know why but my instant gut reaction is that they called in a mystery shopper to acheive a way of getting rid of you without being blamed/taken to court for disability discrimination if they do sack you. Could be wrong but strong feeling that's what could be going on.

I don't know why but my instant gut reaction is that they called in a mystery shopper to acheive a way of getting rid of you without being blamed/taken to court for disability discrimination if they do sack you. Could be wrong but strong feeling that's what could be going on.

[/qu

Thanks for reply, Just wondering if I should seek legal advise of just give up.

Kimberley

Sorry to hear that your work are putting so much pressure on you.

My views may be coloured by my own negative experiences with an employer, but I would say that you should put together some information about how good you really are at your job.

Does your store have CCTV cameras in the shop? If so can you get hold of any pictures of you with the secret shopper or you on that day at work? It may help others see how you were dressed and presented yourself. Surely thay can't sack you on the grounds of messy hair?

I know that a gut instinct is to just walk out (and this may ultimately be what you decide to do). However you need to take a long look at all the facts before making a big decision like that. Consider how long you have worked there, how you get on with your co-workers (not the supervisors), the financial consequences of leaving..... Sometimes it is worth a fight.

Take care,

Flop

IMO if the only thing the shopper could negatively say that your hair looked abit unkept from frantically running around trying to serve 2 people at once and being extremely busy well they are really pulling at straws at trying to find something wrong with you. Shopping means service and if you were doing your best to be of service well then you are doing your job.

It would be nice to go at these people but hence the word mystery shopper, can you find out who is behind it all? If not you can collectively point out to your boss that you gave excellent customer service that day and THAT is what keeps people coming back.

Keep a detailed report of everything that goes on between you and your employer. Date it as well. Try to get hold of any copies of notes your Dr gave you for your employer, things like that. Try and get a copy of the mysetry shoppers report too.

In the UK we have something called Citizens Advice Bureau which gives free legal advice, if there's anything like that where you are, go and see them, take your detailed report etc See if they can advise you. Make sure your Dr is aware of everything thats going on.

You may not need to take this step until/if your employer sacks you. But is worth getting some advice before if you can.

Employers go to an agency which hires mystery shoppers to report on their staff. So it's the company you work for that have called them in.

In the US, it is the "Industrial Commission". They set up mediation sessions between you and your employee. These work fine some of the time, but I would advise if you do this to make sure (by role or otherwise) that your employer does not bring an attorney with. You don't want to walk into a situation where they are represented and you are not.

My advice is to look at your FMLA leave and the secret shopper as two different situations. If your employer has made remarks about your FMLA leave, you can simply remind them that those remarks are not fair and that you are participating in part of the benefits (although unpaid) that your employer offers its employers. You can shame your boss by acting more professional than they.

On the evaluation situation: I would sit with your boss and dissect the evaluation. What are the average scores given by this particular shopper in reference to the others? Where you the first to be evaluated? Is there a criteria sheet and can you have access to that information? How are shoppers hired/background/etc- how do they balance out their scores to tabulate a fair score etc (throw out highest and lowest?). How did your evaluation fall in the statistics of the company? If your employer cannot answer these questions, then I would launch into a calm discussion about fair evaluation and mutual respect. If this is a shopper that gets their kicks off of ditching on other women, then you don't want to over-react. If this is only happening to you- it might be just a way to discourage you and you shouldn't let it affect you, but I would ask the questions and have the discussion.