Newbie Here

just thought I'd introduce myself since there isn't a specific area for that here -

I'm 20 and was diagnoised with POTS just last week after about 10 years of progressive symptoms. This past winder was so bad I had to quit my job, school, everything, and there were a number of occasions where had I been smart I probably should of called an ambluance. I also have a previous migraine diagnosis and a inner-ear dysfunction which worsens my POTS symtpoms. I was finally diagnoised after spending a week of intensive testing at Mayo in MN. I've been put on toprol xl (25mg a day) and been directed to do some vestibular therepies and try to condition myself again (I'm a former gymnast, dancer, and many many other sports and endurance involving activities). My symptoms have decreased significantly since dramatically reducing my activity. Still I only have about 1 true good day a week where I feel like my normal self.

So thats about it, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask all the veterans if they have any advice, particuarlly any other young females who are struggling through school and everyday life. I know there is no cure (and I don't even have a complete diagnosis yet) but I'm hoping I can live a some-what normal life now that I've begun treatment.

Hi Danni,

Welcome to our group. I'm sorry that you have a reason to need to be here but we are a friendly bunch.

There are several people your age here so you should be able to have a chat about school issues with some of them.

Keep standing,

Flop

Hi Danni,

I developed POTS at 24 and I can feel for you. I have found this forum to be tremendously helpful and the internet is another way I research stuff. You'll probably find that you get more info from this forum and your own 'detective' work than you get from most, if not all, doctors you see. I have, as I know many on here have, dealt with doctors who either simply do not know about POTS or they don't know very much about it. Good Luck and you should look up previous posts on here. They are a wealth of information. :blink:

Bri

Hello! I just wanted to drop a line and say "Welcome" I am gald you found us! I found out I had POTS also a Mayo in MN. I went on for a second option at the Cleveland Clinic I got the same. I had to give up work also when I was 26. I have not worked in 16 months. I miss it alot. I find that still don't have that many good day, but also I think we learn to cope, to the new life. I am still trying to find my "quality of life" the only problem is I think I push and want more then its going to be.

I am still trying to find the right meds, and treatment. I also have lymes, so the treatment for that has caused some problems this the POTS.

I wish you the best, and hope you find a great support system here. Again Welcome! :blink:

Hi and Welcome... I can remember even as a child dealing with mild symptoms that progressed as I got older. I started with palpatations and dizziness at age 19 and with each passing year a new symptom showed up.. I am now 35 and must say I am able to function to the best of my ability on a daily basis. I do work full time and exercise 3 times a week.. It's rough at times but I try my best to keep strong and focused on not allowing this condition to beat me...

hi danni,

welcome around! you will find lots of information AND lots of great people around here. isn't it great to have the internet? we are from all over the world, meeting eachother here at dinet and finding information and as important: lots of support!

corina :)

Welcome to the forum, Danni! I'm glad you found us. Anytime you're feeling frustrated or needing to vent, there will always be people here who want to listen. I'm about your age (21), and I was diagnosed when I was 17. Feel free to message me if you ever want to talk.

Take care!

Hi Danni :)

Welcome to the forum. You'll find many friendly ppl and lots of support here, I'm sure.

I know you are probably overwhelmed right now, since you've just been diagnosed. It takes some time to adjust to the label, absorb the information, etc. But I wanted to give you an idea to keep in mind, since you said you had to drop school to rest. I also dropped out of college my junior year due to POTS symptoms. It was really depressing to let go of that dream...but I soon found that I didn't have to let it go after all. There are plenty of distance learning opportunities, some allow you to go at your own pace, take it one class at a time. I strongly advocate distance learning, it gave me some kind of a schedule, long term goal, and a community. Even if you just take one class per semester, you will eventually finish. Not for everyone, but worth considering.

Just wanted to send a warm welcome your way, Danni, even if I am a tad late! ;)

I was diagnosed at age 20, too -- had to stop everything and move back in with my parents. I was diagnosed out at Mayo also, which really became the turning point in the illness for me. The meds Dr. Low suggested have made a huge difference.

Glad you found us! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk or ask questions! :)

Angela

Hi Danni :)

Welcome to the forum. You'll find many friendly ppl and lots of support here, I'm sure.

I know you are probably overwhelmed right now, since you've just been diagnosed. It takes some time to adjust to the label, absorb the information, etc. But I wanted to give you an idea to keep in mind, since you said you had to drop school to rest. I also dropped out of college my junior year due to POTS symptoms. It was really depressing to let go of that dream...but I soon found that I didn't have to let it go after all. There are plenty of distance learning opportunities, some allow you to go at your own pace, take it one class at a time. I strongly advocate distance learning, it gave me some kind of a schedule, long term goal, and a community. Even if you just take one class per semester, you will eventually finish. Not for everyone, but worth considering.

Actually I've been doing distance education since high school through Indiana Unversity because of my migraines and fatigue - technically I'm still working on that diploma in conjunction with my bachelors work. It's not typically something I share with people, but I feel very supported here, so I think thats why I'm feeling a bit more open about it. I definately love distance education, but I also find its easier for myself to make excuses when I'm having my good days 'oh well, there are no due dates, so I should take advantage of my good day and just be normal' things like that. Do you ever have that feeling?

Thanks for the support from everyone else too! I'm sure I'll start PMing a lot of you pretty soon here. I'm still so distracted by the wealth of information there is, and trying to get a more complete diagnosis, but I'm slowly shfting into more of an acceptance mode.