Just Wondering...hyper Parathyroid

Thanks, Katherine, for getting back to me. Some of the symptoms - fatigue, headaches, difficulty falling asleep, difficulty falling back to sleep, tachycardia. aches, etc/

I had a bone scan to rule out metasasis from the breast cancer since I am having really bad neck and back pain. The scan showed no metasasis, thank G-d, but did show a hyper parathyroid, arthritis, and a mass in my stomach (my pacemaker). So now it will be off to an endocrinologist.

I hope your mother's recovery was uneventful.

Lois

Thanks Lois, She did well with the surgery and recovery. For awhile the scar was visible on her neck, but it is really not visible now. She had an excellent surgeon--I will get his info if you want it. He is now at Yale I think-at the time he was Johns Hopkins. All of her symptoms are now gone. She never complained of tachycardia, sleep problems, or fatigue, but she did have a lot of aches and pains and weird headaches that would come and go.

Katherine

I was tested for that right away when I had POTS symptoms. I can't remember what the symptoms are, but the parathyroid helps to control the thyroid, I think. My test was normal.

Amy

My father, who I am certain has POTS also, had his parathyroid gland removed several years ago. His calcium levels went sky high and they recommended it be removed. He had a visible scar for awhile but it is no longer noticeable and he has no complications since the surgery.

My son has well documented hyperparathyroidism, but they refuse to go in and do anything. I am pretty angry, as i know you do have some subtle symptoms with it. he is 25 and already has osteopenia.

I wonder how he would feel with the tumor removed (his gastro and endo argue over whether it's caused by malabsorption or a tumor) so no one does anything...

Many people say they feel much better after surgery, and he's been sick a long time with other things, but you never know....

Lois,

I do have an 'aunt' who had this and also had to have surgery. She did well with it and is doing well now except she does already have so much of the osteopenia stuff--she's very bent over at 60ish.

She also found a top-notch surgeon and I am blanking on the hospital, but my mom will remember...if you want more info. Although aren't you in Florida now? So, you may be looking for someone a bit closer then PA!

How's the pool treating you? :lol:

Emily

Thanks, everyone.

I just arrived today in Maryland after snowbirding in Palm Coast. I so much enjoyed my swimming pool. It is heated. I have tried to swim a few laps and then some each day as well as tread water for a few minutes. It took a few months until the swimming pool company figured out how to turn on the pool heater...it is super automatic.

Hopefully, when I return to Palm Coast, I can get a pool exercise program.

Until then, I am back to taking it easy in Maryland.

BTW, there is a great cardiologist at The Mayo in Jacksonville who is really interested in POTS!