Midodrine

masumeh

Hi all!

Quick technical question... Does anyone on Midodrine get their meds from factories in Austria? I am in Saudi Arabia, and I've tried a few different sources (US, Australia). The most easily availible to me is the latest try, from Austria, and I am beginning to think it's a placebo or something...I am not getting my usual benefits. The brand name is "Gutron". Ever heard of it?

masumeh,

i can't exactly remember where mine came from, but when i was on midodrine it was called gutron as well (so it might have come from austria as well, as i'm in europe). i was told that it is possible that although the active substance is the same, the added substances can vary so that the final result can be different. as english is not my first language and this is a bit technical, i hope you understand what i mean. if not someone else could help and try?

good luck,

corina :D

I take midodrine as well and it has been a rough road for me to find which brands work for me and which one's don't. When I first started on it I got the generic from my local pharmacy and it made me sick to my stomach. I mean very sick. It was a white pill that would disolve in my mouth before I could end swallow it and it would stick like chalk in there for hours. I talked to my doctor and he told me to try the brand name. I was lucky as my insurance paid for the brand name and I was only charged the generic price for it. Brand name $735.00 Generic $430.00. I ended up only paying the $10 co-pay. The brand name was wonderful and the pill was tiny blue the size of a birth control pill. When my insurance changed the first of the year my new insurance company would only cover the generic. I worked with my pharmacy and they found a generic brand that is the same size and color of the brand name and we tried it. It works fine. He now orders only that brand in for me and my insurance still covers it as it is generic. If you want I can ask him where it came from so you can see if you can get it. My perscription bottle reads midodrine 10mg tab EONL. Don't know if this will help you or not.

Thanks for the replies. All very helpful. I also got a chalky, fat, pill that disolved at first contact with liquid (a couple times in my throat or just before my stomach and gave me horrible stomach problems as well as heart burn, etc.). That was the US pharmacy brand (Pro-Amantine). But it also worked the best. Then there was the tiny orange pill from Australia (brand name Amantine), ordered online. That was really good...better on my stomach, easier to swallow, really good. Only problem is it takes about 20 days to get to me, bc it goes to my mom in the US, who has to send it for like more than it costs to Saudia. This Austria Gutron is like the chalky white one, but without hardly any benefits. It's good to know that someone else has heard of Gutron....I was beginning to think it was a fake or something. It's just the easiest to get, the only midodrine product I've been able to find so far here in Riyadh. I've never encountered a blue one. That might be a good try....usually the leaflette has the brand name printed somewhere, if you don't mind looking it up?

Thanks again, to both of you.

Here in the US, I got a VERY INFERIOR "generic" Midodrine pill.

It was litterally two stacked white pills that made it look fat. It would not be broken w/o crumbling. When I returned it to Kroger to have them cut the pills for me, the pharmacist had never seen anything crumble like this but said once a pill left the store, it could not be returned.

I told HER that since this pill was DOSE DEPENDENT to rise b/p, it was critical to get the proper dose. I said just because I left the store with it does not mean I tampered with it but it was an INFERIOR product. she agreed and let me pay the difference for the brand name.

The generic was HORRIBLE and I would never get it again even tho I pay my meds out of pocket.

The little orange ProAmatine brand is much more reliable.

I did not keep the pamphlet out of my last midodrine refill, but I did call my pharmacist and found out the following for you.

The maker is Sandoz and they are located in New Jersey, USA. The NDC# is 00185014901

If you ask your pharmacist to pull up this NDC number it will pull up the little blue pills that are generic, but work the same for me. Please try these and see if they help. If you can't get them where you live, maybe your mother can order them and send them to you.

They do have a website, it is www.sandoz.com. I know they are located in Germany and the USA, but you'll have to go to the site and click on worldwide and click on map to find the closest one to you.

Hope this helps.

I did not keep the pamphlet out of my last midodrine refill, but I did call my pharmacist and found out the following for you.

The maker is Sandoz and they are located in New Jersey, USA. The NDC# is 00185014901

If you ask your pharmacist to pull up this NDC number it will pull up the little blue pills that are generic, but work the same for me. Please try these and see if they help. If you can't get them where you live, maybe your mother can order them and send them to you.

They do have a website, it is www.sandoz.com. I know they are located in Germany and the USA, but you'll have to go to the site and click on worldwide and click on map to find the closest one to you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a bunch! I will try the site. It really helps to know my options. Thanks for sharing your experience, and for taking the trouble to call up the specific info for me :unsure:

I don't know about that particular generic, but I can't use the generic form of ProAmatine, (midodrine), because the ones I've tried (at least 2 manufacturers) are ineffective.

Generics contain the same active ingredients, but because they're chemically "the same" they don't have to go through the same FDA testing (at least here in the states) that patented medications do, because in theory it's the same medicine. So basically they don't get tested to see that they actually work.

OK I'm on some generics that are fine, but others that aren't. So I guess pros and cons.