Does Everyone Feel Lightheaded After Bending Down?

juliegee

Hi Guys,

I've had this all of my life. I almost faint every time I bend down to do work, i.e gardening, cleaning baseboards, etc. When I stand back up, I start to black out. Everything goes gray/black, sound goes away...and then I come back. I've never actually fainted from this, but I'm definately experiencing presyncope. When I force myself to finish a task, (like my son and I recently stained and whitewashed a stack of boards that were lined up on the floor- constant up and down) I try to relax and enjoy the dizzy ride.

If I just bend my knees, like to do squats (with head upright), it doesn't happen. It only occurs when I lower my upper body/head down down to the ground. Is it just me or do others have this same symptom?

I spoke with my son about this. He's agreed to help me clean baseboards for a fee ;-) He said, "Oh yeah, I had that before florinef- it's gone now."

I'm curious to hear your comments.

Julie

When you bend down as you are describing your head is lower than your heart so lots of blood is going to your brain. If you suddenly straighten up and stand up your head is higher than your heart and a proportion of your blood is displaced downwards (gravity pulls it towards your feet), this means that the brain suddenly gets much less blood that it was when you were bent over. This is a common reaction in people with a normal cardiovascular / autonomic system. It can take a few moments for your body to balance the blood pressure again.

You do need to be really careful as there is a risk that you could black-out / faint when standing up suddenly. I would advise you to do low down tasks in a squtting position rather than bending from your waist (squatting is also less stressful for your back). When you want to get up, straighten up slowly, sit down on a chair / step and wait a moment before standing up all of the way. Be careful not to jump up suddenly and dash off (like to get the door or answer the phone).

I understand that your son has POTS but you don't?

If you get a lot of dizzy spells it would be worth asking your PCP to check your lying and standing blood pressure and heart rate (not just after standing but several times while you stand).

Take care,

Flop

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I wondered if this was also common in the general population. I may start asking friends- they'll probably think I'm a lunatic :-)

Flop, I need to add a formal signature to my posts. My son is DXed with NMH- among a few other things. I have POTS.

I'd love to hear from a few more. Does EVERYONE with POTS experience this?

Thanks-

Julie

Julie,

ah it makes more sense that you have POTS too. With your screen name I had assumed it was just Mack who was ill. I was worrying a bit that you might have an undiagnosed problem.

I have POTS and certainly have the same symptoms that you describe after bending down. I think it is also fairly common amongst "normal" non POTS people but people with POTS are more likely to experience it.

Flop

Yup, add me to this list of those who do. Picking up my daughter's toys on the floor is a killer for me. I actually have bought one of those grabber things with the long arm that works really well to do such stuff and it really helps. Otherwise, I just grab a box and crawl around on the floor to get all her toys put away. As for the general population, yes they do get this also at times but not to such a severe degree. When I use to be able to work, I did a lot of filing and when I'd get sick after filing things from bottom shelves to top shelves, and I'd ask them if they have that too, they say that they get lightheaded but not ill feeling so similiar but different.

- Tammy

I have the same problem, but mine isn't just with bending over, if I look up or try to do anything over my head, when I bring my arms back down, i'm dizzy. And god-forbid if I get on a ladder, when i'm finished with whatever i'm doing, I get really disoriented once I get off the ladder.

for all the mommies with little children: try to let your little ones pick up their toys themselves. make it a game and be VERY enthousiastic when they succeed. it makes all of you feel better!!!

also, they will get used to doing these little things themselves from which all of you benefit when they are older.

just a little suggestion :huh: .

and yes i have very much trouble bending as well, always have.

take care,

corina :)