Can You Hear Your Heartbeat Pounding In Your Ear?

Eli6596

Hi

Does anyone else hear their heartbeat pounding in one ear when they are having a bad day with POTS? It seemas to happen more when midodrine is wearing off between my 4 doses a day. When I had to go off all my meds for a tilt table test at Mayo, I could feel and hear my heartbeat throughout my entire body. I know that sounds wierd.

I have been taught that this is pulsatile tinnitus, and that tests are indicated to rule out a vascular abnormality in the head and neck. I just hate to spend thousands of dollars if this is a common problem among us POTS people. I mentioned it to Dr. Low years ago and he really did not say anything.

Karyn

I also can hear my heart beat in my ears (more on the left). Also I have realised that if I pull the bedcovers up round my neck that I can hear my skin rubbing against the sheets over my carotid pulse - that was really wierd until I worked out what I was hearing.

The pulse that I hear in my ears is worse when I am reaching up high or have been bending down, most of the time I don't notice it or it isn't there. A lot of (healthy) people complain of hearing their heart beat at night especially when lying on their left side (heard at night because it is quiet then).

I wonder if we are just hearing a normal heartbeat but we are more receptive / sensitive to things like that especially when our bodies are stressed? Like we "tune in" to our heartbeats subconsciously??

No real help I'm afraid, just my rambling thoughts.

Flop

Oh yes I get this all the time...I get the pounding in the back of my head and in my ears...I also will feel it thru my body.. primary spots being the bottoms of my feet and my booty...that is a weird spot to feel you heart beating. :) . and also my fingers I get it too

Um I get the heart pounding when i lay down or when I stand up.. or am standing to long...I dont know why i get it.. I am speculating maybe it s blood flow problem? I dont know..

Uh oh and i get the pounding when i am really over heated or my BP is spiking..

do you get dizzy when you get the heart pound ing your head?

i hope that you feel better..

I get this symptom - I can feel my heart beating in my stomach, on the roof of my mouth and on my teeth, among other strange places...but most often it's in my ear. This symptom happens from time to time, and it is probably related to POTS. I would go ahead and get it checked out anyway just to be sure, especially if it's a new symptom.

Hi,

I have this also.

Sometimes my heart beats so hard that the blankets raises. We can also my arteries pulseting in my arms, neck and legs.

I feel the pulsation in my arteries throughout my body. Sometimes it annoys me other times I don't pay attention.

Hi

I suspected that I was not alone with this symptom. I have had it for at least 5 years now, and it is stable. Dizzygirl, it does occur when I am feeling badly with my other POTS symptoms like dizziness and fatigue. The pounding does not really bother me except for the worry that it could be from something other than POTS. I don't know why we have it. I have done extensive testing in any patient that complains of this same symptom, and have never found anything....so far. None of those patients had POTS. I suppose I should get some testing done. None of my doctors have thought to suggest testing.

Pat, does your sister have POTS too?

Thanks for everyone's imput.

Karyn

I can hear and feel my heart beating throughout my whole body.. When I lay in bed I hear my heart beat and when I am sitting I can feel my heart beat though my legs and feet. If I position my arm a certain way I feel it in my hands. We are more aware of our autonomic functions than most people so we feel things more than another person without dysautonomia would...

Yes I can, especially when laying down. Annoying-------I usually change positions, and this sometimes helps.

I have problems with the base of my skull-----(see signature line). This may contribute---maybe not. Who knows.

I sometimes wonder if it's because I have one prominant vertebral artery, and one hypoplastic vertebral artery--------------I get other noises in my ears-------------like a deep base humming also.

Maxine :0)

Just wanted to say "Yes, me too". It happens occasionally to me only when I am laying in bed trying to go to sleep and I feel forceful heartbeats (but no tachycardia). I can count my pulse by the sound of my ear rubbing against the pillow with each beat. Of course it's also hard to fall asleep when you're pulsing like this.

Frustrating, I know