Disability Lawyer

PattiL

Hi everyone,

Has anyone (I tried searching and couldn't find anything posted) used a disability lawyer for anything other than getting SSDI? i.e., work or school related disability discrimination issues? Wondering if you've used one, was it worth it financially? We're having some issues, but don't know whether to pursue it or not b/c of the expenses. I feel we definitely have something, and I'd like to stand up for what we believe is right, but financially again, i don't know if it's going to be worth it in the long run. Any advise?

Patti

Patti,

I don't have memory of someone doing this...although I do remember leah a couple of years ago having a case. Can't remember what she did about it though!

Can you search her posts? She's not on much and hasn't been on for a while so, maybe you could find the stuff?

Since most lawyers at least give you a free consult...you could start there????

I hope someone will have some insight...

Emily

My God, Emily, do you have a great memory or what!?! I seached through Leah's posts and found something from 2004! Sounds like she ended up not following through from the advise of her brother and boyfriend (both attorneys). Siimilar situation though. It's just gone too far. Hope to hear from anyone else who's thought of going through this or has.

Patti

Patti!

Yeah! I do have crazy memory about stuff like that...I would have done a search for you but I was soooo tired and needed to lie down ASAP...

I'm so glad that you were able to find that information! :) Thank goodness for our archives, eh?

I'm also sorry that you have a situation to deal with similar to leah's...you're in my thoughts.

Emily

I had professional disability insurance which gave me such a hard time that I got a lawyer. It took me 3 law firms to find someone who "got" that I wasn't greedy or nuts, but just truly could not work.

In spite of glowing promises and a great referral, we ended up mediating and settling the case. The lawyers felt they won big (well, they did). I felt (what is a polite way to say it?) The insurance company felt they did OK, considering what could/should have happened.

I would probably do it again, since I did end up with a settlement to cover a few expenses and probably would have had nothing otherwise. But I would have done it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy differently.

When you are sick, female and ever been diagnosed with anxiety, even if wrong, the stigma winds up costing you if you aren't prepared.

Please PM me for more info if you want. I can give you a good and a couple poor referrals if you live on the west coast.

OLL