Iron Supplement Options

For anyone taking iron supplements--what do you take? I just saw my gp yesterday. He said I need to go on a mega dose of iron for at least the next month to get my iron stores replenished. I hate taking huge pills. Are there any easy to swallow mega-doses available?! :blink: I would even prefer a liquid preparation to a huge pill.

Thanks!

Katherine

I am taking Ferrex (Nu Iron) 150mg 2x daily.

The pills aren't gigantic, they're actually pretty average sized.

Instead of having me take a mega dose, my GP just set me up to take this 2x daily for 3 months.

Hope this helps! :blink:

Hi Katherine,

I take Feosol Ferrous Sulphate...it's a small green pill...very easy to swallow. I take 1 daily now that my iron is normal (to maintain). This past summer when I was anemic, the hemotologist had me on 3 ferrous sulphates per day (taken an hour before eating with a glass of water - they absorb better on an empty stomach). My iron levels were on the high side of normal after taking 3 pills every day for 2 months.

Hi Katherine,

I had iron deficiency anemia & have been on & off iron tablets for years. Three years ago I had to have 2 iron transfusions (2 weeks apart) because I wasn't absorbing enough iron even on tablets. I definitely felt better after the transfusions, energy level was greatly increased.

High dose iron tablets don't have to be large pills but if you have the tendency to get upset stomach you might do better with a lower dose tablet taken 2 or 3 times a day than 1 high dose tablet a day. Make sure you take the iron tablets with vitamin C, this aids the absorption & you will get more out of each tablet.

Hope this helps,

Bronwyn

A lot of people get GI side-effects from iron - usually constipation but I get the opposite effect. Splitting the dose over the day makes it easier for your body to absorb the iron so fewer side-effects. Agree with the vitamin C supplements.

I've found that ferrous gluconate suits me better than ferrous sulphate. It comes as a coated tablet so it slips down easily and is about 0.5cm in diameter. When I need full dose iron I take 300mg x3/day, cutting back to just once a day for maintainance.

Flop

hi katherine,

can't really help you as i only know the huge iron pills and some free to buy iron supplement i bought years ago (which was huge also but could be chewed and tasted AWFUL). hope you will find something in the right size and that you will start feeling better soon!

take care,

corina ;)

Thanks everyone for your responses! :)

I saw both my gp and ob/gyn this week and they had different ideas. Both were concerned that I not be anemic b/c of POTS--I was impressed that they definitely seemed to be aware of the condition (not that I haven't told them about it--but I am always skeptical that a doctor will actually accept the diagnosis or understand it). But my ob/gyn said I don't need to take such a high dose as my gp wants me to take. So, I have some nice small pills to take twice a day. ;)

I think my main symptom from the anemia, besides what I think is extra dizziness and fatigue at times, has been restless leg syndrome--it has been really bad--and always worse right after my period. I am hoping for improvement soon...

Katherine