Anyone Ever Use A Tens Unit For Back Pain?

I did a trial of the TENS unit for the back pain that I have between my shoulder blades. It was not a good option for me for several reasons. First, inspite of having hypermobility, I could not place the pads properly myself. My husband was not always available to put the pads on for me. The TENs unit did not relieve enough of the pain when I had it on to cut back on my pain meds. If the pads were even slightly out of place they cause painful spasms around my rib cages. It just was too labor intensive for the benefit so therefore my insurance co. was paying for something that was not being used often enough to justify it. However, many people have stated that they get good relief with them and we all react differently. The biggest obstacle for me was not being able to put the pads on myself.

Lori

Hi, I used to use a TENS unit a lot for knee pain. It was before I had POTS but it was a huge help with the pain (I found that accupuncture was even better). The pain relief works for some and not others, sometimes I think you need an open mind as some of the effect is the distraction from the pain caused by the tingling sensations!

Since having POTS I haven't used one much but did borrow my Mum's for a few days when I pulled my back - didn't seem to affect the POTS but I am quite potsy at the moment so would be hard to tell.

If you decide to try TENS let us know how you get on,

Flop

I used one many yrs ago. -- so not sure how much they have changed. I felt it helped some, but had to keep cranking it up. It was for low back pain. I finally went to a chiropractor who was a combined chiro and PT and he helped me the most.

I did not have all the symptoms that I am now struggling with- so it was not affecting my nervous system in any strange way. I agree it was almost a distraction from the pain.

I used a TENS unit years ago when I was in Junior High, for neck pain. I guess I dont remember what I thought of it or if it helped at all. For me it was too hard to deal with while I was at school. I think I had it turned up too high and the electric shock feeling was distracting. One time it fell off durring class, and was shocking me everytime I moved. I couldn't move to turn it off and was trying to motion my friend to help me. I ended up getting in trouble to being disruptive! I couldn't explain to the teacher what was going on because it was really hurting....and I didnt want the class to know about it. Now looking back it was a funny moment.

I'd say it might not hurt to try it. Just don't turn it on too high, I like did.

I used one for a while... but the help didn't last long. Within a few months I had upped it as far as it would go then it didn't help at all. I tried going off of it for about 6 months then starting it back up and it didn't help. Now I have a pacemaker and can't use it.

• 1 month later...

right now i use my tens for back pain daily, and it works wonders! i also havent noticed any negative side effects and i also use it on my ankle alot which helps greatly as well. i know that your post was from a while ago, but i thought i would let you know incase it was still relevent.

dayna

hi

i used a tenz unit back in 2000 or 2001.. Uhm I did help me tremendously at first.. but it had to be cranked up pretty gosh darn high.. and it only offered temp relief from pain.. i used it for my neck and shoulder..

I could not postion that lead thingys myself.. somebody had to do it forme...

the onyl problem i had with it as the postioning of the leads.. and i have an allergy to the sticky stuff ON the leads.. and had to stop using the unit..

but its thje one and like onyl thing that brought me any pain relief really.. i hope that you hage ahd some sucess with it..