Gastric Emptying Study

ellepee

Hi,

I'm finally having a gastric emptying study done on Wednesday. My doctor thinks I have gastroparesis but have never confirmed this and I suffer from constant nausea. I've searched previous posts and see that most studies for everyone were either 2 or 4 hours. I was told mine would take an hour and a half. Has anyone else had one that quick?

Thanks!

~Elle

Mine was 90 minutes as well. My doc said that if you are still not empty at 2 hours then thay can diagnose you with confidance, but if you have a normal study then he would recommend a 4 hour study as some people will have a negative 90 minute scan and an abnormal 4 hour scan.

Sheridan

Elle,Hi, I have had the 90 min. study and the 3 hr. study,in my case the results were the same. My tests were done at different hospitals

and each was conducted differently. BTW,I have a moderate case of gastroparisis,but I do have severe nausea.Good luck and keep us posted. Pat

I have had a 120 min (2hr) and a 240min (4 hr) gastric emptying study. i was abnormal on both, but my GI doc wouldnt refer me out to boston to see a guru in gastroparesis until i was proven to be over 10% retained food at four hours on the 4 hour study because he said mayo clinic and lahey clinic guidelines for gastroparesis are that you have 10% or more food retained within the stomach at four hours......

......my GI doc said there is a lot of variability on gastric emptying studies, that some facilities conduct a two hour study and some a four hour. not sure why he put me through the two hour when he thought that the four hour one could only truly definitively diagnose gastroapresis......so he ended up, after finding me abnormal at two hours with 39% emptied from my stomach, having me go back only to find out that i was STILL abnormal at four hours with 49% emptied at the four hour mark..............a lot of places utilize the 2 hr and if you have emptied at least 50% of food content from the stomach at 2 hr's you are normal and if you have more than 50% in the stomach at two hours retained they say gastroparesis............not sure which one is most reliable cuz it varies from facility to facility.....

seems like there's a lot of contradiction with the gastric emptying study, but i hope you get some answers either way........since everyone always seems to do what mayo clinic does, perhaps you could call the guru's at mayo and see what is diagnostic timing for their gastric emptying study in order to make an accurate diagnoses of gastroparesis.......

Frustrated- I was 48.5% emptied after 1 hour. The entire test lasted about an hour and a half. I was so nauseaos during it and am puzzled now. I haven't talked to my doctor yet and I know they don't have the results about the relux part but my doc was almost positive that I have gastroparesis before this.

Has anyone had a gastroduodenal manometry done? It doesn't sound fun but I think it may be what they have lined up next for me.

~Elle

I had manometry done a few years ago. It isn't pleasnt, but I've had worse things done. It takes about 45 minutes and they do have you snort lidocaine to help get a very tiny tube down.

Mine showed very disorganised contractions and peristalsis. My gastric empty was 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They said if it's not emptying at that pace, there's no reason to just wait longer, if it's abnormal, it's abnormal.

Good luck sweetie!

6 Hours!!!!! Good grief, did they explain it to you? I can't imagine it taking that long. As soon as you swallow, everything either will contract or it won't. I'm sorry if I led you astray, but they got everything they needed on mine in about a half hour......good luck on it. Probably the worst part will be having a very small probe in your throat, it can be irritating, but many people have large ones post op and stuff. It basically feels like you've got something stuck in your throat and you need to clear it.

Good luck with the test......morgan