Ernie

morgan617

Ernie - I am really sorry to hear that your symptoms have worsened. I remember hearing about Yoga in Bed on the news and thinking that it may be beneficial for many on this forum. Here's a summary of a CBS news story and the link to the creators website.

http://www.yogainbeddvd.com

(CBS) As the popularity of yoga continues to grow, so, too, does the number of workouts emerging from it.

Among the latest are ones you can do ? in bed!

Nationally certified New York yoga instructor and Yale grad Edward Vilga developed several.

They're in a new DVD called, appropriately enough, "Yoga in Bed," based on an earlier paperback titled, "Yoga in Bed: 20 Asanas to do in Pajamas."

Vilga stopped by The Early Show Tuesday, along with his friend, Broadway actress Cristy Candler, who demonstrated several of the exercises on the DVD.

In addition to "Yoga in Bed," Vilga has penned three books, and will be out with another, "Yoga for Suits," in November.

His hectic teaching and writing schedule inspired "Yoga in Bed." He says he found himself having very little time to practice yoga, and would end up doing brief, ten-minute moves in the morning and again at night. He quickly realized that these mini-routines were actually quite beneficial.

The DVD features everything from easy-to-master physical poses to meditation practices. It has a morning routine to get you energized before you start your day, and an evening routine to relax you right before bed. The soothing background music and detailed instructions make them easy and fun to do.

Ernie - One more idea. I did a search on exercise in bed and another article came up on a book titled "Get Fit in Bed". The link to the website is at the bottom of the article.

Exercise in Bed Improves Sleep and Fitness Says Top Chiropractor in New Book

Published: Fri, 10 Nov 2006, 09:07 EST

By Aria C. Munro

Staff Writer, Publishers Newswire

NEW YORK, N.Y. -- The co-author of the recently published "Get Fit In Bed" (ISBN: 1572244607), Dr. Genie Tartell, a nationally known Chiropractor who has appeared on ABC-TV, "The View," and the Fox morning program, "Fox & Friends," says you can get a better nights sleep by exercising in bed. Dr. Tartell wrote "Get Fit In Bed" with co-author Ted Kavanau, the founder of CNN Headline News.

Tartell backs up her own experience by citing a January 24, 2006, New York Times, article which quotes a leading researcher saying that in varying degrees, "...exercise before bed can actually promote sleep, easing anxiety and raising body temperature...."

Tartell says, "No matter what your age or physical condition you can benefit from exercising in bed at any hour, whether it's morning, afternoon and even when you awake in the middle of the night, often with those seemingly uncontrollable, nagging thoughts."

Dr. Tartell says that kind of repetitive thinking, which keeps many people awake late into the night, has been shown to dissipate after doing the "Get Fit In Bed" exercises, and is often followed by a return to normal sleep.

The "Get Fit In Bed" exercises combine yoga, pilates, stretching, and even karate movements, into what Tartell describes as "A complete exercise program that is easy to do. Even those with mobility problems, arthritis or fibromyalgia can benefit from doing some of the exercises." The book also includes Tartell's advisories about which exercises people with specific health conditions should avoid, or how they can be done with modifications.

Tartell says "Get Fit in Bed" is a "...complete exercise system in which the flow of movements have a certain physical logic in which small movements build strength and flexibility for later, broader movements."

Dr. Tartell wrote "Get Fit In Bed" with co-author Ted Kavanau, the founder of CNN Headline News. The karate movements in the book were inspired by Kavanau's experience using the exercises when he was in his sixties.

Kavanau says at the time he needed to do something about his very-out-of-shape condition, but did not want to get down on the floor to exercise because he gets an allergic reaction to dust.

`

So he decided to do his exercising in bed. His fitness improved so much that he was able to return to his youthful practice of the martial arts and after a half dozen years was awarded a black belt.

Dr. Genie Tartell, a Doctor of Chiropractic, was a Public Health Nurse and a Cardiac Critical Care nurse at The University Hospital for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

"Get Fit In Bed" (ISBN: 1572244607, paperback, New Harbinger Publications) is heavily illustrated with photos of Dr. Tartell demonstrating the exercise program. The book is available on the Internet and in bookstores.

More information: http://www.GetFitInbed.com

Ernie, I am so sorry to hear that things have been going so badly for you. I wish that I had something to offer you that would help. Are any phone consults being made to doctors in the Mayo or Dr. Grubb for any ideas that may help you? If you've been seen by them previously, your doctors should be able to call in a consult and fax over your newest information for any sort of ideas or suggestions that they may be able to give.

This is such an awful predicament to be in. I hope things will work out for you that you can get back home and have care set up for you there. We are all thinking of you, Ernie. Keep strong. Laura.

Awww Ernie!!

I'm so sorry to hear your in the hospital! And such a long stay. I seem to be a few months late on posting, glad it popped back up!

HUGS

hi guys,

for those of you who want to know, i have been calling ernie this week and will call again today. she is having a hard time as her doctors don't know how to work with her (in terms of rehabilitation). i promised her to say hi to all of you!

will keep you updated when there is more news,

corina :huh:

thank you morgan, for sending me her telephonenumber!

I got an email from Ernie, she is supposed to go home the 4th. Although she still can not even bathe herself! She can stay upright 5-10 minutes if she keeps moving. She says that they are supposed to set her up with some home care, but she doesn't think that will happen.

She appreciates everyone's thoughts and prayers.....morgan

Ernie, you are still in my thoughts...I hope the docs DO set you up with some sort of home healthcare. Take care and hang in there.

Jacquie