Migraines

jlmahon

I've had migraines for years now and they are becomming more severe. I take Keppra as a preventative and it seemed to be helping up until recently. I can't take Imitrex for attacks because it causes a severe increase in blood pressure. I was told to take vicodin for the pain but that doesn't really help much at all. I theorize that my recent exacerbation of autonomic symptoms is causing the increase in migraines but my neurologist doesn't think so. It makes sense to me that constant changes in blood pressure would affect the blood vessels but I'm no doc.

What helps those of you with migraines?

diagnosed with small fiber neuropathy(2003); autonomic neuropathy (2003); mitochondrial cytopathy (2002); complicated migraines (2002); gastroparesis/small bowel dysmotility (2005)

I too had a hard time with Imitrex. For me, Frova has been a much better choice. It takes out my migraine very quickly! Of course, what works for one, may not work for another, but it has been helpful for me. (It is like Imitrex where you take it at the onset of a migraine... not a preventative)

~Roselover

Hanna, I take Maxalt,I could not take imitrex either. I have a low tolerance to meds.,but Maxalt got rid of my headaches and did not bother me,you take this at the onset of the migrane.I suffered with migranes for 25 yrs.,this is the only thing that ever helped. I hope you can take this and it helps,Lots of luck and love P

Have you tried Topamax? My neuro suggested it for me.

Has anyone else used Petadolex? It is a purified form of the herb butterbur, available from Enzamatic Therapy on the web and at health food stores. I had very frequent migraines and they have stopped completely. You take it every day as a preventative. It is very important that it be the purified form of butterbur as the herb itself has a toxic element. Enzamatic Therapy licenses it from a German company. It is supposed to be as effective as imatrex, which I couldn't tolerate. It has certainly worked for me, without any side-effects.

I've used Amerge, a relative of imitrex, but doesn't give me as horrible the symptoms. Also, I've used Migranal DHE nasal spray that REALLY helps me and hasn't given me any side effects other than a little burning in my nose. For the terrible pain, I've taken xanax to be able to fall asleep, and oxycontin (which makes me hyper, but often makes other people sleepy).

Nina

Guest GayleP

This may sound weird but I have found that taking one baby aspirin a day has been really helpful in preventing migraines. I was getting frequent migraines with an aura several years ago and started taking the baby aspirin after a neurologist recommended it.. I can't tolerate any of the migraine meds so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try the aspirin. I was suprised at how well it worked because the migraines stopped for the most part.

Make sure you check with your doc before taking aspirin on a daily basis because it's not a drug everyone should take. Unfortunately, I've recently had to stop taking it because it was causing bleeding under the skin on my arms.

I am still looking for the right med. Right now I am getting shots of nubain, and vistaril. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Topmax put me into the er, my heart was racing way to fast. I hope you find the right med. I know how fustrating it is not to be able to find a med that works! Wishing more pain free days your way.

A friend of mine with bad migraines suggested that I take magnesium glycinate (also sold as chelated magnesium). It's a form of magnesium supplementation that is much better absorbed. (If you are on Florinef, you probably need a magnesium supplement, by the way.) Her doctor had recommended it. I tried it and it really seemed to help. I also gave some to a friend of mine who has type 2 diabetes and was waking up at night with horrible charley horses. No more charley horses until after he ran out of the magnesium.

Another possibility is mirtazapine (Remeron). It's a prescription antidepressant, and you can take it either full-time as a migraine preventive or just when you think a migraine is coming on. There haven't been proper studies on this, nor will there be, because it is off-patent now.

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/41/2/153

i don't/ haven't taken a preventative as i don't generally get migraines enough to justify doing so. as for abortives, over the years i've had success with maaxalt and relpax, and more recently (though i know you already said you cannot tolerate it) imitrex nasal spray.

i hope you find something that works for you,

B) melissa