Jump to content

Foods That Bother My Pots


Recommended Posts

There are some foods that really bother my POTS. I wanted to talk about vinegar in particular. When I eat salad dressing containing vinegar or eat A1 steak sauce (which also has a lot of vinegar) on my steak or Hot sauce like from taco bell, I get really orthostatic and it can last for several days. I get breathless, and my pulse goes up a lot when I stand. I get chest pain as well. I usually have to up my beta blocker for a day or two if I decide to eat one of these things. I do not do it often. And everytime I do it, I feel so bad, I say to myself that I am not going to do it again, but every once in a while I do. I get so sick of not being able to eat what I want. I, long ago (years) figured out that it was the vinegar in these things makig my symptoms worse. Long ago, I even tested this by taking in a little pure vinegar which resulted in the same symptoms. Does vinegar bother any of you ( make your OI or POTS symptoms worse ). I have not read any material stating that it is supposed to make our OI worse but it definately affects mine in a negaive way. But I have read that vinegar is supposed to lower blood pressure.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

NO! Thank God. I love vinegar...I'm the household pickle juice drinker. (Yeah, yeah, I know it's wierd.) Of course, this habbit formed way before the IBS, and cannot co-exist with flare ups of IBS. But my GI troubles are very well managed, and I enjoy pickles and even eat those Indian mango spice pickles! Wow...now that's poison during a flare up. But hey, I live when I can.

Now chocolate, eggs, and milk....these are bad news to my POTS symptoms. I'm not sure why. I mean, the eggs and milk, I am allergic. But the chocolate, I cannot figure that one out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it is the stimulating effects of the chocolate. I have not been able to eat chocolate since my dysautonomia started. It makes me tachycardic and have chest pain. I ate some a few months ago, even though I knew from experience what would happen, and I paid the price. I did enjoy eating it, but I got chest pain and had to take a beta blocker to alleviate the pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any possibility that you could have a problem with systemic candida? Vinegar would aggravate that and garlic helps get rid of it but can also bring on "die off" symptoms which make you feel awful. Any other condition like a candida problem can make the dysautonomia symptoms worse.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread.

I've never noticed any ill effects from vinegar.

Garlic lowers blood pressure, so I stopped eating it for quite a while. But I never noticed any improvement in my health, so now I eat it again. Perhaps on others it has a greater effect of lowering bp.

Chocolate - mmmmmm! That's one of my favorite treats. Unfortunately milk chocolate will make my heart pound and my hr will increase. I think it is just due to the sugar content. If I eat dark chocolate (the 60-80% cacao stuff) then I don't have the side effects. But maybe that is just because my chocolate cravings are satisfied with less chocolate! And therefore I eat less sugar.

Powdered sugar is the absolute worst for me. Ham and milk come in a close second.

The easiest foods for me are raw fruits, steamed vegetables, grilled salmon, a small salad, and a small amount of whole wheat bread.

Ok, now I'm getting hungry. Time to find another post!

Rachel

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love garlic, (i'm Italian) but it really bothers me, and Msg is a killer for me,even before I had POTS ,It gave me horrible migranes and chest pains, I thought I was having a heart attack. Also eating too much at one time ,really triggers my POTS. Now I eat many small meals a day, it works for me. P

Link to post
Share on other sites
NO! Thank God. I love vinegar...I'm the household pickle juice drinker. (Yeah, yeah, I know it's wierd.) Of course, this habbit formed way before the IBS, and cannot co-exist with flare ups of IBS. But my GI troubles are very well managed, and I enjoy pickles and even eat those Indian mango spice pickles! Wow...now that's poison during a flare up. But hey, I live when I can.

Now chocolate, eggs, and milk....these are bad news to my POTS symptoms. I'm not sure why. I mean, the eggs and milk, I am allergic. But the chocolate, I cannot figure that one out.

Masumeh, most chocolates (if not all) contain milk. If you want to eat chocolate without milk you should buy the special one for people who follow a Dairy free diet. You can also drink soja with chocolate tasting (but only the one without dairy).

BTW, I also read that Dairy can trigger our symptoms (POTS), as well as eating to much sugar can lower our bp.

love

Tessa

P.S.: Sensitivity to gluten and casein changed my life and my diet. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

foods that bother me:

really rich foods like pasta alfredo, too many dairy products close together, some spicy foods, popcorn (especially the kind with extra or movie theatre butter) and some types of potatoes.

interestingly enough- i've heard that some foods are not related to the pots or to food allergies but to your blood type! (look up blood type diet and find your blood type (if you know it) for more info. if you don't know your blood type but u've had sugeries before then look on the surgical reports (that's how I know mine). :lol:

NO! Thank God. I love vinegar...I'm the household pickle juice drinker. (Yeah, yeah, I know it's wierd.) Of course, this habbit formed way before the IBS, and cannot co-exist with flare ups of IBS. But my GI troubles are very well managed, and I enjoy pickles and even eat those Indian mango spice pickles! Wow...now that's poison during a flare up. But hey, I live when I can.

Now chocolate, eggs, and milk....these are bad news to my POTS symptoms. I'm not sure why. I mean, the eggs and milk, I am allergic. But the chocolate, I cannot figure that one out.

Masumeh, most chocolates (if not all) contain milk. If you want to eat chocolate without milk you should buy the special one for people who follow a Dairy free diet. You can also drink soja with chocolate tasting (but only the one without dairy).

BTW, I also read that Dairy can trigger our symptoms (POTS), as well as eating to much sugar can lower our bp.

love

Tessa

P.S.: Sensitivity to gluten and casein changed my life and my diet. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 13 years later...

I get really bad flares when I eat msg, intake caffeine (simple chocolate even), smoked salmon,  certain cooking oils really set it off. Popcorn (assuming from the oils I put in it), and processed foods like Ramen, chow mein, vintage sausages ettc.

I'm great with my lactaid milk (lactose intolerance), eggs, veggies etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything that is supposed to be stimulating like caffeine to Adderall to Nuvigil or simple like B12 makes me extremely tired, lethargic, like falling asleep, dizzy, fainting... it's pretty crazy. Does anybody else have this problem? I do not have adhd. 

My diet is extremely limited b/c I have severe Interstitial cystitis so vinegar would be acid to my bladder. In terms of dysautonomia I have to eat light meals, I can't have breads, and pizza, and pasta, anything heavy makes me really sick and tired and my brain starts buzzing. I'm actually scared to eat anything these days. I ate some berries this morning and it flared my bladder. 

I love vanilla almond milk (real vanilla) and real vanilla ice cream in small amounts. Something about vanilla is soothing to the bladder. Almond milk is light and delicious. I put cinnamon on everything, I don't know why, but I like it. I can't have the city water or straight well water from the faucet, I have a pitcher that filters it, I notice a difference if not filtered, especially in taste and if you have problems with bladder it's great to filter water.

I do great with fish which is great b/c I live in Florida and my family fishes a lot, fish is very anti inflammatory, I will put packs of wild salmon in with some: mayo, celery, grapes or strawberries, crushed walnuts on top, then salt on top. Overall it's following a strict IC diet and avoiding breads pastas heavy carbs, and mostly sticking to anti inflammatory foods.

I actually do good with chocolate, not dark, but just milk chocolate Hershey's, I feel a tad better with it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2007 at 11:50 AM, Rachel said:

The easiest foods for me are raw fruits, steamed vegetables, grilled salmon, a small salad, and a small amount of whole wheat bread.

Ok, now I'm getting hungry. Time to find another post!

 

LOL. Yea I'm hungry too now. My mom got me salmon tonight so that should be good. 

Honestly, I'd love to eat lots of sweets and cakes and heavy ice cream with every topping imaginable but it just makes me sick, arghhhh. And my best friend is a professional baker. I really crave sweets! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CallieAndToby22 said:

I do great with fish which is great b/c I live in Florida and my family fishes a lot, fish is very anti inflammatory, I will put packs of wild salmon in with some:

Do they catch SALMON in FLORIDA????????

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Do they catch SALMON in FLORIDA????????

Haha no. She got it from a restaurant, I gave her a gift card for Longhorne for her birthday today. 

They're going out fishing tomorrow but it's fresh water so typically they're looking for bass. I will say my favorite fish here are: mullet, flounder, speckled perch. But my favorite fish overall are salmon and mahi mahi. I just get the wild salmon in the packets from Wal-mart ha. I'm too tired. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 8:41 PM, CallieAndToby22 said:

Anything that is supposed to be stimulating like caffeine to Adderall to Nuvigil or simple like B12 makes me extremely tired, lethargic, like falling asleep, dizzy, fainting... it's pretty crazy. Does anybody else have this problem? I do not have adhd. 

 

I have ADHD and took stimulating drugs before my head injury that caused my dysautonomoia (or rather made it unbearable, I had mild-medium symptoms for years before but didn't know what it was). After, I can't take anything stimulating at all without my brainfog and light headedness and dizziness getting so severe I forget where I am and what I'm doing. Even caffeine makes me so like 10x worse.

I did some reading on it and caffeine restricts blood flow to the brain by 30%. Most stimulants also are vasoconstrictive, and if you are having trouble getting enough blood to your brain already (what causes those cognitive symptoms in dysautonomia) then they will make it worse. Look up Cerebral Blood Flow to learn more. 

But yeah, I can't have any caffeine or take my ADHD meds at all anymore. Having brain fog plus ADHD makes it so hard to function most days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jinglebean said:

 

I have ADHD and took stimulating drugs before my head injury that caused my dysautonomoia (or rather made it unbearable, I had mild-medium symptoms for years before but didn't know what it was). After, I can't take anything stimulating at all without my brainfog and light headedness and dizziness getting so severe I forget where I am and what I'm doing. Even caffeine makes me so like 10x worse.

I did some reading on it and caffeine restricts blood flow to the brain by 30%. Most stimulants also are vasoconstrictive, and if you are having trouble getting enough blood to your brain already (what causes those cognitive symptoms in dysautonomia) then they will make it worse. Look up Cerebral Blood Flow to learn more. 

But yeah, I can't have any caffeine or take my ADHD meds at all anymore. Having brain fog plus ADHD makes it so hard to function most days.

Thank you so much. I can't even leave my bed or sit up without passing out b/c I'm not getting cerebral blow flow to my brain. They keep putting me on vasoconstrictors. My cardiologist (local) put me on Northera and it made me unbelievably ill then she got mad and said she worked so hard to get it approved and I'm like "if you had told me the mechanism of action I would've told you this wasn't going to work". I didn't know caffeine was THAT BAD. But yea I don't drink it for many reasons; last time I had chai tea I was trying to walk down a road and I was falling over and stumbling... so ridiculous. I've also been taking myrbetriq for my bladder and this medicine raises blood pressure, the more I look into it, it is a vasoconstrictor too!!!! I can't escape these things. 

I'm left with only Bystolic. How do I get blood flow to my brain so I can get out of bed and sleep? It's just not happening. And nobody will refer me anywhere.  

I'm sorry you can't take the medication you need. I don't have ADHD but after a bout of constant adrenaline which is happening now after cancer treatment, all stimulants began making me super ill. But even many years ago in high school when I had chronic fatigue starting they put me on Ritalin and something else and it did nothing. At that point they were like "you have CFS" but not really I have terrible autonomic dysfunction. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CallieAndToby22 said:

Thank you so much. I can't even leave my bed or sit up without passing out b/c I'm not getting cerebral blow flow to my brain. They keep putting me on vasoconstrictors. My cardiologist (local) put me on Northera and it made me unbelievably ill then she got mad and said she worked so hard to get it approved and I'm like "if you had told me the mechanism of action I would've told you this wasn't going to work". I didn't know caffeine was THAT BAD. But yea I don't drink it for many reasons; last time I had chai tea I was trying to walk down a road and I was falling over and stumbling... so ridiculous. I've also been taking myrbetriq for my bladder and this medicine raises blood pressure, the more I look into it, it is a vasoconstrictor too!!!! I can't escape these things. 

I'm left with only Bystolic. How do I get blood flow to my brain so I can get out of bed and sleep? It's just not happening. And nobody will refer me anywhere.  

I'm sorry you can't take the medication you need. I don't have ADHD but after a bout of constant adrenaline which is happening now after cancer treatment, all stimulants began making me super ill. But even many years ago in high school when I had chronic fatigue starting they put me on Ritalin and something else and it did nothing. At that point they were like "you have CFS" but not really I have terrible autonomic dysfunction. 

 

That's awful. There are so many meds that do one good thing while making another worse. Some dys people are ok with vasoconstictors so they're fine with those meds, but some aren't and there are less options for us 😕

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jinglebean said:

That's awful. There are so many meds that do one good thing while making another worse. Some dys people are ok with vasoconstictors so they're fine with those meds, but some aren't and there are less options for us 😕

It's very difficult like you said and also, my blood pressure tends to run very low. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have food issues from the Dysautonomia like you are describing but also from the mcas. I just don’t eat it if it is a problem now. Every couple years I try some of the foods I really miss, sometimes it is ok or I decide if it is worth it to eat. Good luck

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...