Gastroparesis--any Success With Apple Cider Vinegar?

Guest tearose

This was recently discussed I think...did you search already?

I think I was out of town during that discussion but I do have GERD and episodic gastroparesis and am curious because I have such a hard time with vinegar!!! Just the thought of vinegar gives me heartburn! :)

Could you post where you read about cider vinegar cause I'd like to read and understand.

thanks,

tearose

This was recently discussed I think...did you search already?

I think I was out of town during that discussion but I do have GERD and episodic gastroparesis and am curious because I have such a hard time with vinegar!!! Just the thought of vinegar gives me heartburn! :)

Could you post where you read about cider vinegar cause I'd like to read and understand.

thanks,

tearose

Hi,

Here's the link.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Myths-And-Truths...r&id=445613

and the quote:

"Gastroparesis is a complication of diabetes. If you have slow digestion, you can take vinegar to help. The most common dose is one to two tablespoons 20 minutes before eating a big meal. Mixing with water or other liquid is ok."

My naturopath recommended it so I wanted to look it up and see if she was on target--and found this--but if anyone here has tried it I'd love to hear about it. She said it could be mixed with water. (or in my case, salt water!) There are lots of books and articles on the health benefits of ACV but I wanted to make sure it wasn't contraindicated for gastroparesis.

http://www.anyvitamins.com/apple-cider-vinegar-info.htm

I also have huge body temperature regulation problems so that will be a nice side benefit if it helps for that as it says in the link above.

I did a search but didn't find anything on vinegar. I should look up gastroparesis in a search when I have the energy.

Guest tearose

Thank you!

I just read and think a couple of things...

there is no sane reason someone with gastroparesis should even eat a big meal!!! So, why bother taking vinegar 20 minutes before???

Also, do you have diabetes? I wonder if there is a different mechanism triggering the slow digestion in diabetes than in us. In us, it is slow motility...in diabetes isn't it having to do with sugar and insulin?

Hey, if you want to try go for it. The worst is that it will make you feel worse, the best is you will find it helps!

I just know from my experience, even salad dressings can bother my stomach.

I treat my symptoms with small frequent meals, and when I am in a bad way, I have several things I do...

take gaviscon, then take pepcid otc for two weeks, then start switching back to mashed, liquid and easy to eat foods. I usually can turn things around in a few weeks.

I hope you feel better soon!

tearose

Please let us know if the apple cider vingegar helps. My daughter also has gastroparesis and huge temperature fluctuations. I will have to try to get her to try some. She vomits daily and has her temps can go from 90 to 104 in a very short time. Good luck to you. Gelann