Vitamin B 12 ,anyone?

P SUDIK

Does anyone take V B 12? If so, do you get shots or take pills? Does it help?

Thanks P

I take 500 mcg of B12 daily.

Have you had your levels checked? That would be a good starting place. Mine were 'low normal' and my ANS doc recommended I take oral B12.

I highly recommend that if you haven't already, you do a search for B12 as a topic. It's been discussed a LOT, and both in terms of shots and oral form.

Hope this helps,

Emily

Em,I am going to my pcp next month, I want to have a complete blood work up. My red blood count is always low, some docs. are concerned, some not. Most of my docs. say "you look good on paper" blood results anyway. I guess I'm just trying to help the doc. help me.

Thanks for you input, P

Pat,

I look 'beautiful' on paper too! That's what often is so tricky for us....blood work coming back normal, ekgs normal, etc....I just had this discussion with my PCP at the last appt. b/c we finally did a 'physical' after all these years b/c we're always so busy averting a health crisis we never got to a 'physical'. So we joked about how on a surface level like that I look all 'perfect', but I'm soooooo sick.

B12 is a very reasonable test to request and low B12 is not uncommon!

Emily

I'd get you PCP to check your B12 levels before taking a supplement. If your levels are just a little too low it would be worth trying pills for a month or two then getting your levels checked again to see if they have improved.

Essentially you can have low levels due to poor oral intake (eg if severe nausea/gastroparesis limits your food intake) but more commonly low B12 is due to a problem absorbing it from the gut in which case you can take bucket loads of B12 tablets and still notabsorb it - these are the people who need B12 injections.

Hope that helps,

Flop

Here's a link to an article on "pernicious anemia," the old-fashioned term for the problems that result when you can't absorb B12 from your food. In short, some people's immune system attacks their stomach in such a way that it no longer secretes "intrinsic factor," which is a chemical that your body needs in order to absorb vitamin B12 from food. There are also some other disorders that interfere with the body's ability to use B12.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1799.htm

Some authorities think that people with fibromyalgia might benefit from B12 injections, even if they don't have a B12 deficiency, because B12 helps "scavenge" peroxynitrite, a substance that might keep the inflammatory process going.

Hi.

Serum B12 may look normal, but your body may not be using it. A good test is the MCV (red blood cell size) level on your blood count, which the Functional Medicine people say should be no higher than 92. It can go up with B12 or folic acid deficiency, so taking both is often what is needed.

Methylcobalamin is said to be more effective than cyanocobalamin as a form of B12 and you need less of it. Folinic acid or MTHFR are the most effective forms of folic acid.

I take pills and my hubbie takes shots, but he has a long history of GI stuff from lots of antibiotics as a kid.

I hope you and your doctor can sort out your need.

OLL

Hey there. I had a normal B12 level last April, but I continue to take B vitamins, including a B12 sublingual. I think the pills will definitely be cheaper than shots, and I'd think the shots would be more appropriate for serious deficiencies. But see where you are and check with your doctor about what might work for you. Good luck!

I take a B complex vitamin with C. I started taking it because of articles about what Ithomas said-- its ability to scavenge the free radicals that are thought to be involved in chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple chemical sensitivity, and the symptom of muscle aches. It is also supposed to help immune and nervous system function. I've noticed an improvement in my level of muscle aches since taking it regularly. My B12 levels were tested after I started taking it, and they were apparently normal. I keep taking it though because i need every help i can get.

I take 1000mcg's of B12 everyday plus a B complex vitamin. It is known to support the nervous system. I have had many blood tests thast always come back normal so I take it upon myself to add extra vitamins in my diet..

I took B12 shots a number of years ago. They really did not change much for me. I do think the adrenal support vitamin I take with a number of b vitamins has been helpful over the years. It has not been a cure, but I notice if I go without it for a while.

I did have my B12 levels take, however they were on the low normal range.

Rhonda

My B12 level was low 1 1/2 years ago when I was in the hospital and I was supposed to be started on shots. it's never happened.

I don't think I absorb much of anything through my gut, so never bothered with the pills and now have no more appts in forseeable future with doctor....so am not on anything....

There's a family history of B12 deficiency, but no one listens.....I've often wondered if it would help my fatigue. I think about getting the pills anyway, but hate to waste money any more.....

I have low B12 level and my doctor recommended the shot. I have been on it for over a year now. I wasn't sure if it helped or not until I skipped a month and boy could I tell. I wanted to sleep all the time and felt much more fatigued than normal. So I guess for me, it helps.

Susan

I too have low B12 and get shots every month though technically my B12 is not low it is 200 and below 200 is considered low but on my test results it says that 30-40% of patients with B12 levels between 200-400 can have some of the symptoms and neurological changes associated with low B12. My dad has pernicious anemia and uses the (sorry brain fog can't remember word) the pills that dissolve under your tongue and they have helped him. They did not work for me so I get a shot every month. I was not sure it was helping but it was time for my shot before last doctors visit and the next day I was not as exhausted as usually am. So maybe that helped. Anyway point is that if your level comes back between 200 an 400 it might be a good idea to add some B12 in. :-)

;) Ooh had I noticed in the post before the word is sublingual!!

Thanks, everyone for all your help! P