Racing Track Ride - Such Fun

flop

:(

Hi I just had to post to share the fab time I had this afternoon.

Not too far from where I live there is a national level racing track. I love cars and sometimes go to watch the British Touring Cars or classic car racing there.

You can pay (an awful lot of money) to drive round the track on special track days and I have always fancied having a go.

A friend is a paramedic and often works in the medical centre at the track. He found out that Volkswagen were holding a special customer day to let people who have just bought cars have a drive in a VW on the track. He talked to the boss and managed to persuade them to let me have a go for free as a special treat.

I drove (not very quickly) round the track myself (didn't want to smash up a brand new VW) and then the best bit was having a couple of laps as a passenger with a pro racing driver really pushing the car hard - the adrenaline rush was amazing!

They also have a polished tarmac rally track and I got an instruction session on that too. I felt much safer there with an instructor telling me exactly what to do (break hard and into 1st gear, quick off the clutch now put your foot down!). The car slid about all over the track, going round corners sideways (intentionally) - such fun!

I am so greatful to my friend for getting his boss to let me have this wonderful treat for free. I loved every minute of it. I'm back at work tomorrow after nearly a month off sick and was really dreading it - now at least I can think about the excitement to help me through the day!

flop

That sounds sooooo fun! Kinda like getting out of the cocoon for a few minutes huh?

This weekend, I was looking at the Cedar Point amusement park website. They have actual videos of most of their roller coasters. I could never survive really riding all those coasters, but watching the videos was really fun. They're taped like you're really on it.

Driving the track with a real race care driver - WOW!

~Roselover

Thanks Roselover,

you put that so well about escaping from a cocoon! POTS is so all encompassing that it is easy to forget about the real world out there.

I'm really greatful that I got the chance to escape for a few minutes.

I'll have to google for the rollercoaster website - it sounds like good fun, adrenaline from your armchair!

Keep standing,

flop

That sounds so exciting! Around here in US they have NASCAR tracks where you can pay big bucks to DRIVE a race car on the tracks (after a class in how to do it)

OR do the ride alongs. I would love to do a ride along if I had the chance...I can't drive a stick and couldn't do the driving myself.

I would like to pick my drivers though. B)

Glad you had a good time! Racing of any motors can be a blast to watch.

Thanks Sophia,

it was fun to drive on the track - I wish I could share the experience with you properly. The pay to drive thing here is just like on your NASCAR tracks except that most racetracks in the UK are designed with lots of corners and chicanes (?spelling) more like Formula 1 Grand Prix tracks.

Do you have a NASCAR track anywhere near you? Why don't you write and see if they'd let you have a ride arround as a special treat - if you don't ask you won't know. I actively try to avoid the whole "I'm ill so please be nice to me" thing but sometimes you have to look for the perks to cheer you up.

Keep standing,

Flop