Does Anyone Do "relaxation" And Visualisation--does It Help?

Canadagirl

My doctor suggested this would calm the sympathetic nervous system and help.

I just started trying it--going into deep relaxation for half an hour twice a day starting with my toes and slowly working up relaxing each body part till I get to my head--synchronizing my breathing to relaxation music with ocean sounds--around half way through when I'm in the "relaxation response" I start telling myself that my body is healing and go through each symptom and tell myself it's healing.

Has anyone else tried forms of this and over the long run did you find it helpful?

Sounds good. I just need to find time during the day to lie down with out the kids/dog/cats wanting something from me. I really believe in the mind body connection. At least for that half hour you are in a more positive place. Just taking a break from the worry must help. Keep it up!

Yes, I've done relaxation and breathing exercises. They did seem to help me in the long run, although they never seem to work in the moment when I'm having a POTS attack. When doctors mention doing these kinds of exercises, it makes me nervous because I worry that they are confusing POTS with anxiety. Although the exercises are helpful, I don't think they are a substitute for medical treatment.

I've used visualization and relaxation exercises for years on the rare occasions when I had trouble falling asleep. A few months ago, I was lying in bed and couldn't fall asleep. My heart was hammering, regardless of how nicely I visualized. Finally, I just gave up and got a big drink of saltwater. My heart slowed right down and I fell asleep a few minutes after that.

My point is that visualization is nice sometimes, but you can't visualize your way out of hypovolemic tachycardia. Nor would it necessarily be a good thing if you could. So don't feel bad if it doesn't always work. Techniques like these are useful for enabling healthy people to feel better adjusted. They can't make sick people well.

Hi

I was thinking more of a long term thing for settling down a person's nervous and endocrine/adrenal system--rather than a quick solution for an active medical problem like a pots attack. I have many of the symptoms of AD.

In any case, I'm going to try it--I was just hoping to hear from someone here that it had helped in their recovery over the long term, and it does sound like one person found it to be positive.

I vaguely remember hearing cancer patients using visualization as part of their treatment and sometimes it actually potentiated other treatment they were getting.

Although I have only tried it for a few days, I am pretty much bedridden and do feel a bit stronger after I have finished a session. I think my adrenal and nervous system have been in overdrive for a long time too!

I don't have much else to keep me occupied with my severe fatigue in bed--so it's worth a try!

I used and use it. I think it did help me heal--along with medications and time. The medications probably were the most effective. However, I do believe it is difficult to get better if you are constantly experiencing anxiety/fear and other negative emotions--and it sure is not comfortable to feel that way. Anything you can do to facilitate a feeling of calm has to be helpful. I saw a psychologist who taught me breathing exercises and also did some biofeedback work with me.

Katherine