Salt Tablets

lalalisa

Hello everyone,

I spent quite a while on the phone today searching for a place who sells salt tablets (no luck).

Does anyone have any good ideas.....I called pharmacies, sporting goods stores, natural food stores, GNC, etc.

Also, Are they worth trying??

Thanks!!

Lisa

lorrell, salt tablets are not prescription. They are a salt supplement that are ment to help atheletes retain water. Thus they help us to retain fluids. Since salt is very important to us POTs patients it is just another way of increasing our salt intake.

there is a website hardtofindbrands.com that you can order them off of if you can not find them locally

All you need to do is ask your local pharmacy to order them for you. It should only take a day or two for them to get them in stock.

Salt will help boost your total blood volume, and in turn, boost your bp. That's why they tell people with HIGH blood pressure to stay away from salt. Their poison=our medicine.

Nina :)

Thanks to all of you for the information on salt tablets and what they do! This is a great site to get helpful tips, and references to infomation. Thank you!

I am new at the whole POTS world so I am a little unsure about the information regarding high blood pressure. If I understand this correctly...stay away from salt if you have high blood pressure. Got it. But...if the blood pressure goes from high to low or visa-versa, depending on what I am doing...is that considered high blood pressure...or is high blood pressure referring to a constant measurement?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks everyone...I will have my pharmacy order them. You guys are great.

Lorrell,

Salt can help increase your blood pressure if your bp is low. Many of us with POTS have extremely low blood pressure where we faint or almost pass out frequently. Hope this helps.

Lisa

Also, not everyone with POTS has blood pressure swings and fainting, yet salt is a must. Lorrell, have you been diagnosed with pots via a tilt table test--and did your heart rate increase by 30 beats per minute within the first minute and then stay elevated?

The non-pharmacological treatments for relief of tachycardia and other symptoms is high salt (3 to 5 grams per day), high fluid (2 to 2.5 liters per day) and compression hose (30-40). The goal is to increase blood volume with the salt and water and to help the legs constrict the veins and get the blood pumping back to the heart/brain when standing. (for most people, venous constriction is automatic--for us, not so much.)

merrill

Lorell, my blood pressure also goes from low to high. When I increase my salt and fluids I can actually lower my blood pressure. The reason is that my body is overcompensating trying to keep blood up to my head (making it high), so when I help it out with more fluid volume it can lower. Hopefully I'm explaining it well :) So salt is definitely a must!

I also have gotten mine from CVS pharmacy in the past, but they usually have to order them. I believe they were called Thermotabs.

Thanks all! You are so helpful!

Merrill....You asked if I was diagnosed by a title table test.....I was diagnosed by Dr.Grubb with POTS and Hyperjoint Mobility....My tilt table test was by another cardiologist. I became symptomatic after the test...Dr. Grubb said that was not uncommon.

When I stand my blood pression lowers about 20 beats per minutes. It often becomes worse after a few minutes..heart races...etc.

I have a prescription for 20-30 mm compression hose which are very helpful. I was given a couple of other prescriptions. I am doing SO much better. I was wondering if the salt tablets would help even more.

I didn't think to ask Dr. Grubb about the salt tablets. Thank for the information. :)