Putting On Stockings With Painful, Hypermobile Fingers

mkoven

hi,

I'm having a terrible time putting on and taking off my compression stockings with my eds fingers. i've now sprained my left and right thumbs and tip of two fingers. any suggestions?

I don't want to have to choose between stockings and fingers--I need both!

The sock donners I've seen are too big/wide to fit the oh-so-tight stockings over.

thanks!

michele

There are a few things I can think of--first, put powder on your legs if you can (I know you have bad allergies). Second, are you using rubber gloves on your hands when putting on your stockings? The gloves give you better "traction" while you're pulling, making it less of a struggle. You may also need to look into bracing for your fingers or hand under the gloves, if you've not done that already.

Nina

We have rubber gloves at the house that one of Teri's representatives gave as samples--so I just use those, but I know plenty of folks who use the old fashioned yellow ones from the grocery store, dollar store, etc.

Nina

So I've tried rubber gloves, bracing, and a stocking donner, and at this point, although each strategy on its own might help, my fingers just hurt and pop too much at this point. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put aside the stockings for a bit. I hope I can get my hands to settle down and go back tot he stockings in a little bit. My reasoning is that if I injure them any further, it won't be a choice. Sigh.

I was hoping to avoid meds, but this might force the issue.