Drink No Coffee, Feel Like I Had 5 Cups....explain The Jitters

runningshoe

Hi,

I have so many questions. I am still learning....Yesterday was a terrible day. My husband had to rescue me from the grocery store parking lot because the car felt like it was moving when it was parked! Not a good sensation and new for me. After I got home and rested for a couple of hours I was so jittery and felt like I hadn't eaten in hours (I had). Can someone help explain this to me. How do you cope with the jitters? It feel like I have fasted, stayed up all night and had pots of coffee...Any tips? Thank you. As always I wish everyone a peaceful and comfortable rest tonight and a better day tomorrow.

If you have POTS your sympathetic nervous system is in overdrive. This the part of the nervous system that makes adrenaline. Adrenaline makes us feel jived up. It is responsible for the "fight or flight" reaction. You either fight the opponent or run away in the cave man days. It makes me feel like I have just plummeted down a roller coaster. It can make us feel anxious too.

Beta blockers can help the fast heart rate and calm us too. A beta blocker along with lots of other meds have helped me. Some people need to take anxiety medications too like a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (prozac lexapro effexor etc.) or even benzodiazepines like xanax (like valium).

Finding the right medication for each person is one of the keys to treatment. It can take awhile to find the right medication. THere are some simple things that help too. This site has information about things that help and things that hurt.

Karyn

Hi,

Did you check your HR or BP when this happened? Where you being more active than you normally are? I call this feeling like I am on speed, and it does happen from time to time. For me it mostly happens when I overdo it or around "that time of the month"...but sometimes it just happens out of the blue too. When this happens, I usually stop whatever I'm doing, lie down, drink some water and take a little extra beta blocker.