Levsin

lalalisa

Hello!

My visit with Dr Grubb's NP (Beverly) went well. She prescribed Levsin for low blood pressure....as needed. I already take midodrine 3 times/daily.

She said it is something that I can take when I know i'm going to have a busy day ahead of me or I'm just really lightheaded.

Any experiences with this med??

Thanks for any input,

Lisa

I never heard of this drug being used for low blood pressure.

In fact if you read the side affects, it sounds like it would not be a good drug for POTS patients in general----especially if the person already has a dry mouth, neuropathy, urine retention or constipation which often occur in POTS patients.

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/lev1223.htm

Maxine :0)

hello Lisa.. i was given levsin by the same provider.. I have never heard of this being used for low blood pressure...

Um I use only as needed.. and i was given the drug for bowel/bladder spasms.. nausea/diarhea.. if anything.. the drug may cause you to get a bit tachy on top of your regular tachy..

side effects i noticed from it .. while it works well.. it can really make you constipated pretty good...

though if it makes your bp go up.. that is interesting.. i ddint know that!

good luck hope that it helps you!

Hello,

Thanks for your responses. Interesting....I hadn't heard of Levsin until now either.

I guess I'll eventually give it a try. Sometimes I have to get "geared up" for trying new meds though because I tend to react in weird ways!

Thanks for the warnings about possibly tachy, constipation, etc. You guys are SO helpful!

Lisa

Actually, this isn't the first thread on levsin, you might try doing a search b/c someone else just posted about it within the past month. Through those posts, I learned that it is used, sometimes, to treat low bp; additionally, it's used for GI spasms and pain, which is why I take it.

As I've posted before, I've taken it for GI stuff, haven't noticed a bp change while on it; just that it makes me a little sleepy and very dry-mouthed. These are the only side effects I've had, so for me, it's pretty innocuous stuff--I just let it dissolve under my tounge for a few minutes and within 10 minutes, my GI pain usually backs off. Here's a link to the Levsin Sublingual info, which is the drug I've used for about 10 years.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/hyoscy.htm

Also, compared to other GI meds I've been given, it doesn't stay in your system all that long (a few hours), so if you're not having a good reaction, it'll be out of you soon enough (unlike zelnorm which works on serotonin so you have to be cautious if you're on other serotonin pathway meds, like an SSRI, i.e. lexapro, celexa, prozac, luvox, and the like).

Levsin's been around a long time, so in that regard, there will more available info on effects good or bad. It primarily works on acetylcholine (a neurotransmitter), and smooth muscle including bowel.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/hyoscy_cp.htm

The biggest issues listed are mostly what I noted--dry mouth, decreased thirst, drowsiness.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/hyoscy_ad.htm

don't take with MAO group of meds...don't take if pregnant b/c it passes the placental barrier.

Nina

• 2 weeks later...
HI

I was pres levsin one time for ibs and i will say it actually caused me to start having very slowed h/r and skipped beats so if u have any of those already be cautious

HI,just wanted to let you knowthat Levsin gave me diarrhea,had to go off of it.

Donna Pat

HI

I was pres levsin one time for ibs and i will say it actually caused me to start having very slowed h/r and skipped beats so if u have any of those already be cautious

HI,just wanted to let you knowthat Levsin gave me diarrhea,had to go off of it.

Donna Pat