To Those With Hypotension

cardiactec

just wondering, to those that pass out or almost pass out, how low does your pressure get? like what is your systolic number (the top number)...

just wondering if there is a true correlation with the actual number with pre-syncopal or syncopal events. ?

i think the first time i have felt that i truly almost passed out (not just ''fell'' from feeling weak in the knees) was yesterday. my pressure has been running 80/60 SITTING lately, so my doc took me partially off the beta i was on (lowered the dose). it stinks because my HR is even higher now, out of control - but on the same token, if the beta was the culprit of dropping my pressure, i cant be on crazy amounts of beta to lower the HR either if it's just going to cause me to pass out. there is no easy answer or solution here obviously.

My pressure has been measured as 50/-- and 30/-- (no diastole was able to be measured) at two different hospitals during testing and I was still conscious but having major presyncopal symptoms like nausea, shaking, sweating, tunnel vision.

I typically get presyncopal when my numbers start running 80/50's. During my tilt my pressure bottomed out. My beta blocker helps with palps (but lowers BP) and the florinef and mega fluids increase the pressure. I only take the beta blocker on an as needed basis right now because I feel so bad when I take it regularly for the very reason you described.

Carmen

I usually have a low blood pressure but sometimes it is worse.

The two last times they measured my pressure it was 90/60 (though they found it difficult to measure as they say they cannot "hear" it very well and they have to try several times).

Before getting it measured I was having some presyncopal symtoms: nausea, headache, lightheaded, tunnel vision, etc... It is supposed that I had a lower pressure that day before they measured it. It took me a while to recover and plenty of fluids...

The beta blocker has reduced my pulse. Now I have 60 bpm, though I still have a low pressure and sometimes symtoms trigger...

Tessa

I start to feel really symptomatic when my diastolic drops below 63. If the systolic drops to the 80s while my diastolic is in the 60s or 50s, you might as well count me out for the day. When I stand up during those periods my blood pressure plummets, particularly the diastolic, which I have been able to measure as low as 43. At other times, the monitor just flashes an "E" at me. My guess is at that point it is too low for the monitor to register.

The presyncope symptoms for me also seem to correlate with about 80/50.

I think they should replace the "E" with a flashing "You are dead!" :)

(..) I think they should replace the "E" with a flashing "You are dead!" :)

That reminds me to my last ECG. The nurse said, Oh, one of the leads are not connected because it does not show the figures...

She then looked at me and confirmed that all the leads were on my body :)

For three times, the same thing happened. At the end, they thought the electrocardiograph was broken... :P But it was me... :D My heart.

Then it worked...

It is not the first time that this happens. I face a similar "problem" when they want to check my pulse (they cannot find it easily :P ) and when they check my blood pressure...

I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but you may find it interesting. When my son had his TTT at Hopkins. He had all of the symptoms of pre-syncope during his entire tilt- despite the fact that his BP remained at 120/80. (It usually runs 90/60- stress made it high that day:-) He felt anxiety, lightheadedness, nausea, etc. for 35 minutes until VERY precipitiously his BP dropped to 30/? he barfed and passed out. We were told by cardiologists there that this precipitious drop in BP is very normal with NMH. The patient feels horrible. Adrenalin is buzzing through the body in anticipation of that BP drop. All pre-syncope symptoms are present even before the drop.

This may not be what's happening with you. sounds like your BP's always low. But, yor body could be "sensing" an even greater drop to come....

Julie

On my tilt, my bp was pretty good for the first three reads, but I was feeling sickly the whole time. The 15 minute mark is when the stopped the test because they lost a reading on the diastolic pressure and my stystolic was still dropping. I've been diagnosed as having POTS and NMH.

Nina

30s for the systolic and unreadable with the dialostic. i have had really funny blood pressure reads too that the doctors say are impossible to have. 110/100 and such. it took 3 medical doctors to take my blood pressure that day and they all got impossible numbers with the machine and with the manual cuff and stethoscope. i have had problems with the EKGs as well with them not working properly. when i was on betas my blood pressure beddriddened me.

i wish you luck with your blood pressure and heart rate. i am hoping that they find something for you.

dionna :)

My BP fluctuates all over the place. It can be 110/84 for example and I can feel very dizzy, etc. Interesting post you have started, I can't wait to see what others have to say! I always thought that the BP had to be super low to feel crappy but I have noticed lately that it isn't exactly true!

Jacquie

During my testing, the nurse thought her cuff was broken, so she got another, then she got the doctor to do it, and all of them came up with 30/-- and I was still standing and talking, although I was feeling awful and shaking all over. I get those "impossible" readings all the time.

My current cardio had a student with him while we were talking about having a bp of 30 systolic and being conscious and talking--he asked the student if that was possible, and the student didn't think so, but the cardio corrected him. According to my doc, our bodies CAN and DO adjust somehow and some of us are still standing and talking. ^_^

Nina

0/P (palpable) during TTT had 4. Also had 2 generalized seizures and unknown number of "convulsions", because it went so low. On norpace now and I don't pass out, get weak. But I'll take it!

I know when its coming now, before norpace I had a split second warning, that was dangerous.

During my 40/? reading, the pulse-oxygen clip on my finger had stopped registering. My whole body was freezing. A tech got a pulse in my neck (115) and got the LOW reading with an automatic cuff. He even repeated it several times. Lots of alarms were going off.

I was in the ER because I was dehydrated following an obstruction. I hadn't been able to eat anything or drink more than a sip or two in 3 days.

Not a fun experience.

Julie

Guest tearose

I usually manage to live in the 110/70 bp zone on a good day in compression and managing...

When I get to 80/60 I am starting to struggle. (meaning I am feeling weak, not thinking clearly and will have trouble retaining what someone may be saying to me) Below 70/ and I'm in bad shape. (meaning I'm thinking where can I sit or lay down and where are my electrolytes? ) I

did have to prepare for surgery not too long ago which included the need to fast from the night before. I then by sheer stubborn determination, and very cold and clammy, managed to walk, hunched over, into the OR and when they took my bp, it was 60/40. I knew I was in bad shape but because I didn't complain they had no idea how poorly I felt. They were amazed, I was a little frustrated because I warned them....They had to hydrate me over the next hour before they could proceed.