Urinary Problems?

lavender

One thing I've noticed over the years is I sometimes have trouble urinating...either taking a while to get started, or having trouble empting my bladder all the way. Rather than being able to go to the bathroom easily, it just dribbles slowly, and stops too soon. I only really notcie it though if I've waited too long to go to the bathroom and my bladder is really full or if I'm really uptight.

I dont think I've ever mentioned this to a doctor because I always have so many other bigger issues I need to discuss. It doesn't really cause me major problems other than when I had an appendectomy. But in reading about the autonomic nervous system I'm wondering if maybe it's connected and should be mentioned.

Should I consider this an issue if it doesn't happen all the time?

I noticed this as a side-effect of Midodrine. It's a vasoconstrictor that activates many sudomotors/ muscles controlled by the ANS- veins constrict, bladder constricts, hair stands up, intestines constrict (gives me gas). I noticed the 'having to go a little bit more 10 minutes after I go' issue is reduced if I sit instead of stand when I go (I'm a guy). I think (hope) that as we understand POTS more and develope better treatments side-effects like these will be eliminated.

I think you should mention this to your doc because urination is definately a piece of the neurological puzzle.

Guest tearose

Yes, mention this to your doctor! Bladder issues are not unusual with dysautonomia.

You may have another issue though too...your bladder may have dropped, or you may need some adjustment to a medication.

No harm in doing some testing and sorting this out.

I've had this problem for years and years. I tell the docs I have an enlarged prostate and pee like an old man. They just laugh, but it can be very frustrating.....

I have a stenosed urethra and interstitial cystitis. It makes it feel like your bladder is full when it's not and if your urethra is very tiny, like mine, it's just hard to get a good stream going.

If it's something new, it really should be checked out by a urologist. They can do everything in their office, including looking in your bladder. No drugs, except one antibiotic post look. preventative. it's just better to be safe than sorry. Good luck....

Thanks! So you think this is abnormal even though it doesn't happen all the time?? I guess I am a bit hesitent in telling my doctors some things because I just dont know whats "normal" anymore! I think I'm overly afraid of bringing up concerns with my doctors that turn out to be nothing or normal, after being told a few times by doctors that this is all in my head and that I WANT to be sick! (how crazy is that!) Know what I mean?

Thanks! So you think this is abnormal even though it doesn't happen all the time?? I guess I am a bit hesitent in telling my doctors some things because I just dont know whats "normal" anymore! I think I'm overly afraid of bringing up concerns with my doctors that turn out to be nothing or normal, after being told a few times by doctors that this is all in my head and that I WANT to be sick! (how crazy is that!) Know what I mean?

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have a list of things that I'm not sure if I should bring up or not with my doctors. I'm always bringing something up with my family doctors. They're great, but I don't want them starting to think that I'm a hypochondriac....then there's my POTS doctor who answers rudely when I bring something up and either says, "that's normal" or "I can't do anything for that." So I'm a little hesitant bringing things up with him.....I know exactly what you mean though.

But, I think you should bring it up at some point especially if you end up getting urinary tract infections. (That's another part of my problem.)