What Is An "energy Healer" ??

cardiactec

I found this on a website. what is a energy healer? anyone know?

"Alternative therapies

Generally alternative therapies are used for patients with benign palpitations, syncope, and risk reduction. An energy healer has been used with young patients with "POTS" and those with neurocardiogenic syncope. Several herbal therapies have also been employed for these patients."

I'm very traditional as a rule...tell you that right up front, but am very leery of these guys. Typically my defintion would be energy healer = money taking quacker, but some people swear by this stuff and as I said...I'm biased. When i see all the problems with regulated meds, I cringe at all the unregulated stuff people will take looking for the magic cure.....just my opinion......

I agree with morgan--I've had bad experiences with unregulated healers/quacks. I do think there can be utility in some alternative therapies, but be careful with any claims that are not peer-reviewed. I did find it useful to see a psychologist who taught me breathing techniques and biofeedback--as far as managing symptoms and even slowing my racing heart at times. Massage can probably be helpful for relaxation. The mind is a powerful thing and the power of suggestion can be quite strong in affecting the healing process and one's perception of symptoms. This is a hot topic and everyone on the board has her/his own opinion...

Katherine

Notice that the proponent of the "alternatives" said that such "therapies" "have been used" or "have been employed." That's a far cry from saying that they did any good.

If someone is willing to do these therapies for free as part of a research protocol that has been approved by an institutional review board, I might consider it. Otherwise, I don't think I'd bother.

Of course, licorice is an "herb," and it "has been used"--but it probably works, at least for boosting blood pressure. In healthy people, licorice intoxication causes hypertension.

I'm not sure if this falls under the auspices of "energy healing," but I thought I'd throw out a few therapies that my son (and now I) am using.

Mack, my 14 y/o is treated by Dr. Peter Rowe at Johns Hopkins, a leader in the filed of dysautonomia for teens. Dr. Rowe highly recommends that Mack (and all of his patients) participate in weekly PT. He advocates a type of therapy called "Manual Therapy." The practioner simply places his hands on Mack in a variety of positions, while he lies still on a table. Mack often goes into PT feeling lightheaded and nauseous and always comes out feeling terrific. The practioner can "feel" what's going on with Mack's body simply by placing his hands on him and subsequently treats whatever is flaring Google "Integrative Manual Therapy" to learn more about this.

After a year of IMT with good results, Dr. Rowe insisted that Mack go on to see an osteopath for cranial therapy. He recommended a specific D.O. in Atlanta (who was an hour away from us.) This fellow was trained by Robert Fulford, who was immortalized in Andrew Weil's book "Spontaneous Healing." At Mack's first visit, the doctor placed his hands above Mack's body to feel his energy. He felt good energy on his head and NONE on his body. He claimed everything was blocked below his neck. He placed his hands on Mack, like the PT, but then proceeded to go into a trance. (I thought he was sleeping.) His chin would actually touch his chest for long periods. Then he pops awake and says things like "Thar' she goes!" Once he "unwound" Mack. He basically twisted his upper torso around and around while Mack sat on the exam table. Unlike IMT, Mack often felt badly after treatments, but always rebounded to a higher level of recovery.

Mack, due to his dysautonomia and motility issues was out of school almost ALL of 7th grade. His weight got down to 100lbs at 5'8" and he was so lightheaded, he often couldn't sit up. He's now back at school for 8th grade. He now weighs a whopping 145lbs and is over 6' tall. He hasn't missed a day of school and has earned straight A's on his report card. (Excuse the bragging!)

I was VERY skeptical of these therapies, but because they were strongly recommended by Dr. Rowe, I conceded and am very glad I did. Mack has improved in leaps and bounds.

Now that I'm suffering from GI motility issues, I've begun the Manual Therapy. I've only done two sessions, but think it's helping. It takes away the nausea (at least for the hour that I'm there.) Ill let you know how it goes after a longer period of being treated.

I think it's good to be open to alternative therapies especially if they come recommended by credible experts.

Julie

Julie