IV Hydration

This question (IV Hydration) is along the lines of something I've been wondering about. I suppose since low blood volume is one of the problems, then IV Hydration is intended to build up that blood fluid volume. I wonder how long the benefits would last before the body "adjusts" that volume back to its former too low state? Further, as a parent who would gladly donate a pint ... how long would a blood transfusion itself actually be maintained by a POTS patient as an increase to their blood supply? Anyone ever pose such questions to their doctor (specifically, how long would the benefits last)?

First of all I'm not a doctor so let me take my best shot at this.

Let's not get hypovolemia mixed up with anemia. You don't need a blood transfusion unless your hematocrit and hemoglobin are low. You can develop hypovolemia from anemia though. They can usually diagnose you with hypovolemia (low on fluids) if your blood pressure is low, you have orthostatic hypotension, you've been vomiting, diarrhea, excessive sweating or bleeding are the main causes.

I have a standing order for IV fluids now if I need them. I've had such severe hypotension that they now say I've been suffering mini strokes.

As for blood transfusions; they prefer to give epogen injections to increase blood count rather than blood transfusion.

How long it lasts depends on the individual.

I wouldn't say I have a standing order of IV Hydration, but when I get really bad migraines and can't stop throwing up, or the common flu that just won't go away...my body can't seem to bounce back and I think that has a lot to do with fluids and POTS. I usually end up at the ER (With lovely comments about me just being there for a headache or flu.) and the first thing they do it start fluids. I usually just sleep for 5-8 hours with fluids and then feel better enough to go home and let my body heal.

My last flu was about 2 months ago. Since I was pregnant I just spent the night on the maternity ward with fluids going all night. I just woke up, felt better, and was on my way. I'm finally at a point where I can get a migraine and then go in for fluids, something to stop throwing up, and something for the pain. I guess you could call that a standing order, but I am still reluctant to go to the ER.

I used to go to Dr. Stillman, but the 1.5 hour drive was a little too much for me because I am definately not a Cleveland City girl. I have seen many people in his office doing the IV theapy so it must be a common thing he tries. I drink tons of water at work during the week, but don't usually drink my yucky tap water at home on the weekends. I can definately see a difference with energy level and headaches. I have to force myself to drink water on the weekends. If you have the time and some good veins I think it can be helpful.

I saw this subject and right away it caught my eye. I have been hospitalized 3 times in the last 8 months for my pots. Main reason being for iv fluids. Is Iv therapy something that is done at home? I have asked that question to my friends many times, but feel foolish asking my dr.s.

I feel that if I could do it at home once a month or something that it would prevent me from having to go to the hospital so many times and having these insane medical bills.

How do you get approved for this? My dr.s really don't seem to know what they are doing and I have an appt. with Dr. grubb in Ohio, but not until Oct. and I'm really beginning to wonder if it's worth paying for a plane ticket and hotel to see him. Anyone have any suggestions?

Frances