OUCH!

Hello everyone... I've been quieter than usual the past several days--firstly because of the death of my friend's child. Secondly, yesterday, I lost my balance in my patio chair and fell backwards--hit my head first on a clay planter, then on the concrete deck. I've got one heck of a concussion...

so, it may be a few days before I'm I'm a bit more attentive on the board--I've been super nauseated, more dizzy than my norm, and sleepy. Michelle, thanks for taking up my slack these past few days.

Nina, the clutzy mouse B)

Oh Nina,

I hope you will be ok. Remember to watch for pupil dilation, etc. Concussions run in our family! I swear the only real injuries any of my three kids have had were head bumps. And I am such a worrier you can't really 'see" what the damages are. Just the other day my 13 yr old got whacked on the forehead with a mini golf ball which raised a lump! And talk about clutzy, I tripped in the house trying to run around doing chores and fell smack on my already sore arthitic knee. Just bring on the pain and damage dear world!! Now my whole leg is sore and I bet its messed up for life. B) Well at least I didn't break anything!!!! Good luck.

Nina,

I am so sorry that you fell! Sheesh. I hope you feel better soon.

Sometimes I feel as though we are resistant to the "normal" ailments that life brings, and all it takes is a little reminder at times that we aren't invincible to NON POTS related stuff.

Take care of yourself, from a caring fellow clutz B)

Clutzes unite!

I once knocked myself unconscious in my closet--I was rushing to grab my suit jacket, and was putting it on while swinging around to leave, hit the door jamb and out I went. I woke up on my closet floor a few minutes later.

I've been to the ER more times for clutz incidents than anything else...Teri's used to it now. I didn't go to the ER this time b/c my pupils are fine, but I have a heck of a headache. I have my live-in-medical care, so I'm a little spoiled B)

Thanks for the nice words.

Nina

Nina--so sorry about your fall. Hope your symptoms improve rapidly.

I am also a klutz. I guess it's part of the poor balance thing we POTS patients have. I am also tall, so the combination is particularly bad. I hit my head really hard on a low ceiling beam several years ago and had a headache and dizziness for three weeks! I even had a CAT scan but they didn't see any bleeding/swelling/etc.

I know how miserable you probably are! Rest should help if you can do it.

Those posts made me laugh! Sorry, Nina, I wasn't laughing at you, just with you! I too am a clutz. About the funniest, stupidest thing I did was run into a guide wire that caught me under my chin. My legs flew out from under me, BANG, I landed on my back and was knocked unconcious (sp?). It's hard to believe, but I've not broken any bones or gotten stiches, "yet".

Just call me black and blue!

Deb, actually, the clutziest thing I ever did happened to me at work. I was sitting at my desk, and because I'm short, I tend to tuck my legs under myself while seated (it helps me feel more grounded because my feet just swing below me in "grown up sized" chairs).

I was sitting "indian style" in my chair. I went to move my rolling chair away from my desk, and the chair flipped over, sending me sailing backward and pinning me against the wall behind me--the seat portion of the chair was pressed against my throat and I couldn't move. My office mate heard all the noise from another room and came and rescued me. I injured my trachea and larynx and had to go to the hospital and get a buh-zillion x-rays for the worker-comp doc. I had trouble speaking and swallowing properly for a few weeks until everything healed.

My head doesn't hurt as bad today--still have a headache, but way better than yesterday.

Nina

Guest GayleP

Nina,

I hope you're feeling is feeling better. A concussion is probabaly the last thing you needed.

I finally figured out how to post on this site. I was having trouble with my password.

GayleP

Thanks all of you! Yeah, I need a child safe house...I don't have a kid...just me! Padding sure couldn't hurt... I'll tell you, I think I may have lost conciousness briefly. I only remember hitting on the clay pot; but my lumps and bruises, and the reports from all my friends tell me I hit at least three times with my head (clay pot, metal planter, and then bounced on the concrete), and one big one on my arm. I have a bone bruise on my arm. If Teri wasn't there my neighbor said she was going to call an ambulance. That would have been quite a scene for my clutzy goof. My neighbors were taking bets that I broke something...skull or arm. I didn't get to hear any of that stuff because I went inside and iced my head for a few hours.

My head is still sore but I feel less nauseated. Have lots of brain fog and just slow thinking. I feel like I just "out of it". At least I have off for a few weeks now.

For those who asked about my friends: the husband is coping as he can. He's like me--does gardening when he's stressed, so his yard is looking spiffy. His wife is very sad. She hasn't let us visit her yet. :D The funeral was yesterday--just family, so we didn't go. I kind of wish I she'd let us, but that's selfish of me, only because it would help me have some closure and not feel as helpless.

Hey, I do have some good news! We're going on a trip to Europe the 2nd week of July. We'll be spending a few days in Germany, and then we'll be going to Croatia, which is where all of Teri's family is from. Teri grew up speaking both Croatian and English. I'm trying to learn a little so I can at least attempt to speak the native language. It's a tough one though--some non-native sounds that are not easy for English speakers.

Nina

Guest Julia59

Sorry to hear about your accident Nina---I hope your feeling better soon.

Here's something funny.....

One day at work before my POTS went into full swing, I was filing some paper work in my office---I was so proud of how fast I was moving.

What a dummy I was---I should know not to keep the upper file drawers open------DUH---TOP HEAVY........LOL

The whole cabinet tipped on top of me! Good thing I have---or had very strong legs which held it from coming completely down. One of the delivery guys came and lifted it off me---I was helpless.

I felt like an idiot.

Julie :0)