low-grade fever and "overdoing it"

Merrill

Hi all. I'm wondering whether people find that they tend to run low-grade fevers on days they out-do themselves (activity/physical work-wise) and get kinda wiped out. (When I say low-grade, I mean 100 degrees or lower.)

Body temperature is controlled by the autonomic nervous system, right?

My huband and I are throwing our 2nd annual Summer Solstice party tomorrow night (wish y'all lived 'round here-you'd definitely be invited :D ) and I took the day off work today to get ready. For me, that included trips to 4 different stores (don't ask <_< ), and a whole lot of shlepping heavy bags etc. By the time I got in the house this afternoon, I thought I'd collapse! Actually, I did collapse on the bed and left the putting away of things to my husband. (Lest you think he lazed around the house while I shopped, he didn't! He swept the street in front of our house--you'd think it was mid-October with all the leaves and tree debris--and washed down all our outdoor furniture, front and back, and a whole lot of the heavier labor type stuff.) We're expecting something like 40 adults and 17 kids...

Anyway, I rested a while until my heart stopped beating out of my chest and even fell asleep for a bit; tonight I washed and cut up vegetables--sitting on my kitchen stool the whole time. But I've also started running a fever, so I'm not feeling terrific. I hope I'm not coming down with something, but I'd like to be optimistic and just say it's the POTS and tomorrow will be a different day. (Maybe I'll take a tylenol PM to ensure a more solid sleep.)

Ideas? Similar experiences?

Thanks guys--hope you're all staying cool, inside and out.

Merrill

Merrill,

Wow, sounds like you guys are having a party!

I've also experienced a low grade fever after over-doing it. Weird stuff!

I hope you can enjoy yourself tomorrow and that you will feel better!

Lisa

Yep I've been running a fever most of this week, they documented it finally at the hematology clinic when I went for my iron treatment this week.

But normally I get them about 8-10 hours into my shift at work, my face gets hot and I feel fluish. It's pure exhaustion.

Have a great party and yep, I wish I lived close enough to come too <_<

Most definitely! This happens to me on a regular basis- my normal body temp is about 97.5, so when it's in the 98 range I feel feverish and hot. Today we had a yard sale and were outside i the sun all day- it was great but when it was over this afternoon I felt like I literally had the flu for a few hours until I fell asleep and woke up. I'm convinced as well that it's an exertion related thing <_<

As for the Tylenol pM- I actually take one (instead of 2) maybe once every few months when I have something big going on the next day and I need a good sleep, and it really helps (although it takes a few hours longer than usual in the morning to overcome the groggy feeling).

Have fun at your party!

Briarrose: Since you go to a hematology clinic, has your blood ever been checked for its clotting capability? Just wondering. Our daughter's doctor tells us that an abnormally high number of POTS patients also have a bleeding disorder that causes the blood to be slower to clot than normal (and easy to bruise, horrific menstrual periods, etc). Was curious if some other doctor has ever mentioned something similar (or in your case, confirmed by your hematologist).

Thanks, you guys. Nothing like a mutual experience to make one feel more at ease... It was true, I wasn't getting sick ... just running a fever is all, and I guess it was gone by morning. (I may be running one again tonight--I can feel it behind my eyes.) I do run a temperature more often than most people...

I survived the party, tho for a while there, it seemed like I might do so just barely. <_< When I got in bed, my body felt like it was humming or something--the room was spinning and I couldn't figure out where my center was. Very unpleasant... I took another 1/2 tylenol pm so I wouldn't notice the feeling for long!

Gonna try to go to bed early tonight...

Thanks for posting,

Merrill

POTSParent

Sorry if this is too much of a visual image.

I haven't been tested for a bleeding disorder yet. My family has a history of clotting disorders with many on my mothers side dying of blood clots. I had an insurance company for along time that wouldn't pay for me to have the appropriate tests done.

I have horrible menstrual cycles. I bleed very heavy most months. I kept telling my OB/Gyn about it and I don't think they got it. After they started monitoring my blood count every week to give me Epogen injections, they finally got it <_< I can't tell you how many times I've had to change my clothes a day because I bleed fast and heavy. I can't even run to the store for milk and back without soaking my pants.

If they had listened they could have saved me about 3 years of suffering and now I have anemia with hardly any iron left in my body. Another thing that ticks me off about doctors.

Steph