Is This Pots Related?

Maxine

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry I have not been on that much. My husband and I are trying to get Christmas shopping done, and not getting very far. I get pretty wiped out, and can't make it---------------

Anyway this has happened twice. My left thumb nails splits vertically from the bottom right at the cuticle. It looks like an eruption at first----painful in the beginning, then it sort of smooths out some and goes away. At least this is how it went the first time. It seems worse this time. I thought I would have to wait for it to grow out to the top, but it just sort of disolved into the nail.

I'm also wondering if this could be related to EDS or POTS---probably not------but it does make me wonder what the heck is going on-----or if it's related to another health issue.

Anyone know what this could be from?

Thanks,

Maxine :0)

Gosh, that sounds painful!! I have no idea why it would be splitting verticallyy, but our nail condition can be related to our health and nutrition. I say this because a neurologist told me once that he could tell I was not eating well because of the spots on my nails (white spots). I believe it is a sign of iron deficicancy but I am not positive. Weak and brittle nails are often a sign of vitamin deficiency so you might need to get some bloodwork done to see what you are not eating enough. Good luck!

Carmen

Hi:

I'm back on the forum after a long break. I have had POTS all my life, and I have had vertical splits in my thumbs especially ever since I can remember. I have been told that it is POTS/cardiac related. Mine start at the cutical and go all the way up to the end of my nail.

Kristen

Thanks for the replies!

I checked out those links Briarrose----------------------pretty loaded with good information.

I ended up at express care at St. Luke's hospital because I developed an infection.

The Doc said it was some type of granuloma or cellulitis. However, as you can see in another posting of mine----that it looks like a granuloma is some kind of tumor----and I know that is not the case with this. I may have heard the doc wrong, but he said cellulitis is the same thing. I have been on keflex antibiotics----the doc said I would need to take them to clear the infection and make sure it didn't spread into my blood stream.

I don't tolerate the antibiotics well. I started on a 500mg dose twice a day, but I got so sick I broke it down to 250mg 4 times a day. The infection is clearing, and my thumb looks much better. I had to cut the dose to 250mgs twice a day, but will continue until the keflex is gone. I get so dizzy and potsy on the antibiotics, and this is on top of my alredy existing problems and fatigue. I need to keep my strength to help my dad with my mom who is pretty sick. I can't do much, but i'm trying to help with small things. Today I'm making white chili for my family so my Dad doesn't have to cook. My husband is helping me with the house.

My mother is in the hospital for a bad bed sore on her behind from sitting for prolonged peroids. She has a large tumor in her bladder, and she diabetic also. They found two more sores on her big toe, and heel. She is very sick. Some very arrogant Doc insisted on giving my mom insulin Friday night. The nurse said she just had a shot, but he demanded it anyway. My mother had a glucose os 30 the following morning----she almost died.

I am watching my thumb closely, and I'm also keeping it clean, adding topical antibiotics, and covering it when I go out. Last night I hit it accidently and a lot of blood came out of the split. Out of the split was a eruption of flesh---sort of looked like a small wort. Now this eruption is smaller. I can now bend my thumb, and the infection doesn't feel like it's in the joints/boney area's. It was pretty bad.

How dumb is this? I would have never thought a small split would turn into that..................shocked3.gif

Just wondering...could this be related to blood flow problems (part of POTS)? Bc my father has diabetes, and they are always watching his nails bc of blood fow issues (sugar levels in blood block nutrients from entering tissues or something like that).

Also, are you on Florinef? I was reading their site today, and it was scary how it can knock the immune system and promote infections...

Hope your treatment kicks in soon!

Thanks masumeh , B)

I'm not on florinef, but my system has been a mess lately----not sure what is going on.

I had a bad summer, and I think the stress of all that played a role in my recent set back.

My thumb is continuing to heal---and I'm still plugging along on the antibiotics. I keep it clean, covered, and use topical antibiotics.

Take care,

Maxine -- Sorry to hear of your infection but glad it is getting better. Just wanted to share that I have had some odd things going on w/ my nails that started when I developed POTS. I have these vertical lines that have formed on all of my nails, but most noticeably on my thumbs. The vertical lines are on all the nails, but then on my thumbs there will be one or two lines that actually are elevated, or raised. They have never split, though. One of my doctors attributed it to aging (despite having only been 28 when it started). Then another told me to take more vitamins, which I already had been doing. So I think in my case that it's related to my body being ill, but not necessarily POTS.

Amy

I just think overall we have a lot of odd things going on with our bodies. I always had nails that grow fast, and long. But the weird splitting at the base of my thumb nail near the cuticle is just weird. I finally stopped the antibiotics. I just couldn't take the side effects any more. It was making my pots worse.

I took it for about 8 days, but didn't take the full dose for about half the time. I know the drill about not completng antibiotics----but it wasn't worth another POTS set back---as I'm already 'set back" enough. I continue to apply topical antibiotic, and very careful to keep it clean and dry. I cover it with a band-aid, but let air get to it when I'm not doing anything that will expose my nail to any bacteria. I have chronically dry hands---like sand paper on the palms. This is partly the winter weather, but my hashmoto's thyroid is a major cause of dry skin.

My vitamin D levels are low----very low. So I'm wondering if the low levels of vitamin D are affecting my nails. It's weird, because my calcium levels are in the normal range.

The Doc gave me a high dose of vitamin D--but it was a pill that you take once a month. No thanks---if it doesn't agree with me, then I have to wait a month for it to wear off. I'll take caltrate--with vitamin D---and get more sun exposure. If the weather temps are around 50s, 60s or low 70s, I can tolerate some sun---about 20 minutes. My dermatologist said all we need is about 10 minutes to get the vitamin D we need---- :lol:

Thanks for your replies and support girls---- :) This was just a really odd thing that I didn't expect at all considering the last split in my thumb nail was uneventful----just sort of disolved----I didn't even have to wait for it to grow out.