The Flu Again!

jkapache

I had the flu about 2 months ago- right before i went on midodrine. the dr gave me a decongestant- prescription pill to take as needed. well now i have the same symptoms- and i am on the midodrine- and there is a warning not to take a dc w/ the mid. I asked the pharmasitst and he said it wasnt safe to take and said just take tylenol. but it isnt seeming to help! Any suggestions on what to do or take? I have been drinking lots of gatorade. and trying to rest. of course this had to happen on the weekend when i cant call the dr and ask! Thanks in advance!

So sorry to hear your feeling so badly. For congestion, here are a few "natural" techniques that provide some relief. If... and I'm sure that's a big if for us with POTS, you can tolerate warm temperature, running a very hot shower to let the bathroom steam up and then sitting in the bathroom for a while, or as long as you can tolerate can provide some relief. Or using a steamer/humidifier, also helps some. Drinking lots of vitamin C, we use the Emergen-C packets that you add in to water 2 to 4 times a day and also take Echanacea caplets (the roots variety, as the ones with the whole plant aren't as helpful). And like you said, resting as much as possible and drinking extra fluids is the best you can do while the virus runs it's course. Also, I haven't tried this myself, but have seen the commercials, for a product called Mucinex, that apparently helps eleviate mucus... just don't use the Mucinex-D, as that would have a decongestant in it.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Tammy

You could also try rinsing your sinuses with saline. In most drugstores there's a product caller saltayre that you can use. Once you get used to squirting water up your nose, you can buy a netti pot and make your own saline. It really helps wash out the gunk and prevents sinus trouble. A year or so ago there was a big story about this, as many ents recommend it. and the great thing is it's med-free. after i do it, it really opens things up.