Pots And Partying

jhjd

We went to one party last night and a ball on Saturday and 5 more parties before Christmas, and then there's Christmas itself, and New Year's, and I have no idea how I'm going to get through them all.

The problem is that the bulk of them really aren't 'optional.' For example, last night was DH firm party, where, not only did I have to go, I had to be pretty and perky and sociable. Saturday is a similiar sort of networking event. So today I'm feeling like total crap. (Sidenote- it's funny how it's easier and, in some cases, more socially acceptable to say you're hungover, even though it's not true, then it is to say that all the stimulation and lack of sleep caused a POTS flare-up!) And I'm nervous about Saturday because I'm don't have time to recover from last night, let alone get my body prepared!

As I told DH, if I were back in college and actually hungover, I'd know how to treat it! As it is, I'm struggling. I'm def. going to be inhaling gatorade, but I was wondering if anybody had any other prepartion tips- particularly, are there helpful vitamins or supplements ya'll use? Thanks!

I'm not sure what symptoms you suffer the worse as there are things you can do depending on your body

but

Try to avoid alcohol and just enjoy the evening out.

Sit as much as possible during the party.

Get plenty of sleep/rest the day of the event.

Hydrate and eat lightly before the party. (Don't want to eat too much and feel that horrible exhaustion but you don't want to go hungry and get hit from the other direction.)

Might think about eating extra salt to retain your fluid.

Avoid adrenaline rushes! so try to control emotions

There have been holiday seasons over the past few years that even though I did all the right things I barely made it through or didn't go at all.

It's funny when you are ill and people know it and then you show up to parties like this, they say "I thought you were sick, look pretty well to me." UGH - How do you explain on the inside to ignorance?

Anway good luck to you.

I am lucky that I am not required to go to any parties, but I do occasionally need to or chose to attend a nightime meeting or conference which is work related. The only way I have been able to make it through the rest of the week without crashing is to take a day of vacation the day afterwards. I lie in bed all the next day. I have learned the hard way that that is the only way for me. I hate using my vacation days for this purpose but it is better than taking a last minute sick day and inconveniencing everyone else at work.

At any social gathering I do avoid standing around while everyone chats. I open up my seat cane if I want to talk while they stand. When it is time to sit down, I prop up my feet on a chair or my seat cane. I definitely don't drink any alcohol, not even a sip. I leave the meeting as soon as I can. Can you just make an appearance at the parties, and leave early?

Karyn

Even though my symptoms are mild these days, what can make me feel worse is not enough sleep. I just cannot stay out late anymore--or if I do, it is rare. Fortunately, my husband doesn't like to be out late, and in fact, it is a long-running joke among his friends that he goes to bed early (he has always been a "morning person"). I find that the combination of stimulation from sound and movement and low lights is dis-orienting--if that makes any sense. I get very tired quickly/find it hard to concentrate in big group, evening get-togethers.

Anyway, is it possible to make an appearance at these parties without being out too late? Can you nap on the weekends? As others have said, and you too, fluid and salt loading is probably critical. Also, probably limiting sugar consumption. Do you have to attend all the parties? There are so many events--parties, parades, etc this time of year--I would like to do them all, but instead I prioritize. I want to enjoy this time, especially with my family and in particular my 4-year old, and I refuse to be worn-out with over-doing it.

Good luck :ph34r:

Katherine

Hi,

I usually drink lots of water before I go out and avoid consuming too much alcohol. However, no matter what I do, I usually end up feeling crappy for a few days after the event :( I figure it's worth it though if I can go out and have a good night! :)

Jacquie

I guess I'm lucky not to have too many official parties during the season... last year my boyfriend's work party was a sit-down dinner, so that was fine. (And this year I'm in the States!) Other than that things are pretty informal. (Actually, my parents have a huge open house every year, and the only time I was in town for it was when I was 18, but even then, there's always somewhere to sit!)

One of my biggest worries would be the standing around. If it were that kind of party, I would bring my seat cane, just to make sure there'd be somewhere to sit. I don't mind at all sitting on the floor, but if it's formal that might not work, especially if not everyone knows what's up.

As for the exhaustion, there are times whenI'm willing to do something that I know will make things worse for the next few days. If it's a party with lots of really great friends that I know will be incredibly fun, I'll go... or if it were something important for "networking" or for business connections, it might be a good idea to try... but either of those situations would find me needing to leave when I need. I won't stay until 3 am just because there are still people there.

I agree with what others have said.. drinking water all evening, either nixxing or limiting the alcoholic beverages, stocking up on salt, and making sure you can take it easy the next day.

Good luck!!

Another party down! I noticed some key differences that helped me feel better after Saturday's party then I did after Thursday's party. 1) It was less stressful then the firm party. 2) GI issues bother me a lot, as they do most people here, and Thursday's was a sit-down dinner which, while good, was VERY heavy (Steak, stuffed shrimp, crab, potatos all w/cream sauces, cheesecake) v. going out to dinner on Saturday where I could order what I wanted (salmon, polenta, vegetables, and a few bites of shared gingerbread for dessert). 3) I didn't have to work before Saturday's event and had plenty of time to get ready leisurely. This, I think, was key. 4) Not only drinking fluid, but taking vitamins on Saturday.

I do drink at these things, but not a lot. I find cranberry juice and vodka is the best combo for me, as you have a drink, but it's mostly juice, and you can put it over ice so your cup looks fuller, and then sip it. Thus, fitting in w/o getting drunk.

I was so optimistic, as a matter of fact, that I got up in time to go to church Sunday, despite having gone to bed at 1 a.m. My optimism was quickly dashed as I got in the shower and realized that I needed to sit down to wash my hair, let alone get ready and go to church. But still, I didn't feel nearly as bad on Sunday as I had on Friday. I'm definetly still recouperating today- a nap is going to be crucial to my day. But it's getting better!

Thanks for all the support!

Another party down! I noticed some key differences that helped me feel better after Saturday's party then I did after Thursday's party. 1) It was less stressful then the firm party. 2) GI issues bother me a lot, as they do most people here, and Thursday's was a sit-down dinner which, while good, was VERY heavy (Steak, stuffed shrimp, crab, potatos all w/cream sauces, cheesecake) v. going out to dinner on Saturday where I could order what I wanted (salmon, polenta, vegetables, and a few bites of shared gingerbread for dessert). 3) I didn't have to work before Saturday's event and had plenty of time to get ready leisurely. This, I think, was key. 4) Not only drinking fluid, but taking vitamins on Saturday.

I do drink at these things, but not a lot. I find cranberry juice and vodka is the best combo for me, as you have a drink, but it's mostly juice, and you can put it over ice so your cup looks fuller, and then sip it. Thus, fitting in w/o getting drunk.

I was so optimistic, as a matter of fact, that I got up in time to go to church Sunday, despite having gone to bed at 1 a.m. My optimism was quickly dashed as I got in the shower and realized that I needed to sit down to wash my hair, let alone get ready and go to church. But still, I didn't feel nearly as bad on Sunday as I had on Friday. I'm definetly still recouperating today- a nap is going to be crucial to my day. But it's getting better!

Thanks for all the support!