I Really Don't Understand The Difference...

i'm not 100% sure on this one, but i think POTS is more of where they see the 30 beat or more HR increase from supine to standing with symptoms and orthostatic intolerance is more of when they see symptoms when upright but not necessarily ever see that "magic" 30 beat or more increase in HR ......? not 100% on this. perhaps they are just used interchangably, but i was told the difference btwn the two was what i just said above........

Most of the doctors will tell you it's semantics. Whatever the docs want to use. Dr. robertson had a paper out recently that stated most docs are now just saying OI, to cover everything autonomic. Some may disagree, but when it comes down to it, that's the one thing we all have in common. it's hard to stay upright...

I think there are about 15 terms for autonomic dysfunction that are used interchangeably.....

It's confusing because different doctors use different terms interchangeably.

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago with numerous things. I'm in the process right now of going back through my medical records to find out which ones are technically accurate, or which ones were just a different name for something similar to POTS. For example my ttt clearly showed POTS and severe orthostatic hypotention. But my cardiac electrophysiologist didn't always use the term POTS or OH.

The National Dysautonomia Research Foundation says that POTS is one of the three main categories under Orthostatic Intolerance. It lists Mitral Valve Prolapse Dysautonomia and Idiopathic Hypovolemia as the other two OI conditions. I think there are other forms of OI too. Basically OI is a blanket term that covers many different types of Orthostatic Intolerance. So if you have POTS, congratulations, you have OI too. :lol:

Good luck sorting through all of the terms and trying to figure out what each doctor means by each term!

Rachel

yes! if you start doing a lot of research on pots, oi, ncs, nmh, paf, cfs, etc. and basically dysautonomia in general... you will see a lot of different terms and names. it can be very confusing. i spend my days on the net researching and trying to make sense of it all.

dionna :D

Seems to look like whatever the major symptom is they put you in that category especially since so many symptoms overlap too. Tachy while standing with drop in b/p -pots, palpitatons, tachy and variable b/p,,MVP, fatigue,-cfs, etc. Just my opinion.

I fall into mvp dysautonomia since I show evidence of MVP and primarly have tachy/palpitations but my b/p does not always drop upon standing nor does my hr always go up 30.

Giant umbrella term dysautonomia.